7.62x51 MEN 87-44

Hy guys
Who have informations about this cartridge ?

Thanks
Nicola

Hi Nicola,

It is a German army issue DM58A1 blank.

Regards,

Fede

thanks
you have documents about the german 7,62x51??

Any model in particular?

if is possible all, because i dont have info about

I don’t have a document including every variant, there are endless variations! It would be easier for me and others to help you if you ask for information about specific cartridges.

frasche,

German made 7.62x51mm is a very interesting subject to study and research; as Fede points out information on the subject would consist of thousands of pages of information due to the various types of loadings (Ball, tracer, AP, blanks, dummies, etc), bullet types, primer types, color coding, different manufacturers plus all the variations in experimental cartridges. If you also considered all the loadings manufactured by German companies for foreign contracts there is a great deal more information involved.

Here is a link to an earlier post (2009) here on the forum which gives a hint at the many variations of German made 7.62x51mm cartridges:

Brian

I really can’t see the color of the tip of the shown blank. If it is red, what it should be by the year of production, it’s a Patrone, Manöver, 7,62x51, DM68. Short: Blank, DM68. If it has a black tip, it is a blank DM 58A1

DM68 came into service in 2005. It is the succeeding model of DM58A1.
DM58A1 was the replacement for DM58 which caused problems to the feeding system of the turret MG of the Leopard tank

1 Like

Rolf, actual examples of the DM58A1 cartridge are usually found with unpainted tip but with red sealant in the mouth crimp.

Regards,

Fede

Fede,

DM58 has a three fold casemouth sealed with black laquer inside the folded casemouth and outside on the folds, about 3 mm. DM58A1 has a six times folded casemouth. The mouth crimp is filled with black laquer, as well as about 2mm black on the outside of the tip. DM68 is 6 times folded, too. It’s the only one with a red casemouth seal in and on the mouth crimp.
Sorry, but there are NO DM58A1 with a red mouth seal.

Rolf

Rolf, that’s not correct, actual examples differ from what it is mentioned in documentation. I have seen boxes from the 80’s and 90’s having cartridges with red mouth sealant only. Below you can see an example from 1985:

Patrone%2C%20Manoever%207%2C62%20mm%20x%2051%2C%20DM58A1%20(Los%20MEN-85-45)

Regards,

Fede

Fede,

what can I say. You are right. Again, a foto documents the truth much more than a copied document passed around in several Units.

Wish I hadn’t sold my 7,62mm NATO collection some years ago.

Rolf