7.62x51 movie blank & ID needed for a Steel Dummy rnd

Although I wasn’t really an ammunition collector, I’ve gone and done something silly and bided on all the 7.62x51 lots that were part of Lynn Harris collection. I didn’t put in high bids as I had no clue as to what the rounds were worth but instead put in a blanket $10 on all the lots.

Well from that I ended up securing 52 lots and expanding my collection of rounds from about 100 examples to just over 500 examples.

I have the German/English book “Die Militarpatronen Kaliber 7,62 x 51 mm NATO ihre Entwicklung und Abarten”. Which is a great book but is also frustrating as it doesn’t provide much info about countries/manufacturers and there are heaps of rounds not covered by it but in saying that it’s a good reference book.

Another great reference I’ve found was a catalogue list of rounds for sale c/w prices, but for the life of me I can’t remember where or who I got this list from. All I know is I got it off the internet and they listed all different calibres, the info was in this format across the page: -

MR07332
USA
AP, USA, M61: ptd gm fmj; black tip; zinced steel case; FB pr; purple PA; ring pr crimp. jkt cann.

• LC 56
    $2.50

Anyone know who produced the catalogue? I need to get a list of the 7.62x47 and 7.62x49mm rounds as I managed to get a couple of those too and my reference info is lacking somewhat.

I’m sure there are going to be heaps of questions about the ID of certain rounds, some of which seem to be unusual that I will share with you all and hopefully get the correct ID of them.

I’ll start with something a little strange that was in one of the bagged lots, I’m I right to think it’s a ‘snap cap’? o/a length is 2.5 ins., rim dia is 0.4705 in. The centre section of the base seems to float around.

I collect just 7.62 NATO - I’m probably mad but I love the fact that its unlikely that anyone knows exactly what has been manufactured. I am almost guaranteed to find a new addition to my collection at every show I attend.
The catalog you describe was put out by LeClair, Davis & Co… As far I know they are no longer in business. You can access it by using archive.org and leclairdavis.com.
A few useful additional references are
Labbet, P. The development of 7.62x71 ammunition in Britain 1953-1997
Labbett and Mead British 7.62mm NATO ammunition
Hackley, Woodin and Scranton. History of modern US military small arms ammunition Vol 2. More inforamt on the development of the NATO cartridge can be found in the IAA Journal Vol 430 pg 6-10, Mar/Apr 03
While not specifically on 7.62 NATO, Chris Punnet’s book on 30-06 has proved very useful as has Hughes book on The history and development of the M16 rifle and its cartridge.
Don’t forget the web and check out information on the M14 and FAL rifles - these can quite oftern provide further leads.
With regard to countries/manufacturers, I’m in process of updating my list with examples of headstamps. I can e-mail this to you in the next week or so once I’ve added my St Louis acquistions to it.
Hope this is of help.
Finally, I don’t instantly recognize the round in the photo - I’ll check my reference files.
Dave S

Thank’s for the information Dave, it’s nice to see there are dedicated 7.62x51mm collectors out there and I can assure you I don’t think your mad. :-D

I do have a copy of “The development of 7.62x71 ammunition in Britain 1953-1997” and I will now keep my eyes open for the other books you mention.

It would be great to get a list of your headstamps as it will help me ID some of the rounds I have and will make a great guide in my search for other rounds.

I believe there is a book being done on Australian 7.62x51mm production,I can’t wait till that comes out.

Here’s a new cartridge to ID, it was part of LOT 349B, the description states:

“… like but NOT the 7.62mm Nato Canadian blank in Datig, Vol 3, P86. Ctge has 2 shoulders. Then ‘blt’ - circular bulge 1/3rd up. ‘Blt’ mouth is 6 petal crimped and filled with wax like sealant. O/a/l: 2.523”, ni primer. H/s: W-W Super 270 WIN. An area about 9mm long just below the shoulder shows a slight indent. Gives every appearance of being a factory loaded round. …"

Is this just a 270 WIN Blank or something else?

Re: 270 Win. H/S, blank

This appears to be a movie blank, I have an exact same sample made by
an special effects company in Glendale,California. Mine is directly off of a film set in the San Franciso Bay Area. Case is resized to the specs. of 7.62x51 for feeding in a blank firing M60 machine gun.

[quote=“NZ L1A1 Collector”]Although I wasn’t really an ammunition collector, I’ve gone and done something silly and bided on all the 7.62x51 lots that were part of Lynn Harris collection. I didn’t put in high bids as I had no clue as to what the rounds were worth but instead put in a blanket $10 on all the lots.

Well from that I ended up securing 52 lots and expanding my collection of rounds from about 100 examples to just over 500 examples.

I have the German/English book “Die Militarpatronen Kaliber 7,62 x 51 mm NATO ihre Entwicklung und Abarten”. Which is a great book but is also frustrating as it doesn’t provide much info about countries/manufacturers and there are heaps of rounds not covered by it but in saying that it’s a good reference book.

Another great reference I’ve found was a catalogue list of rounds for sale c/w prices, but for the life of me I can’t remember where or who I got this list from. All I know is I got it off the internet and they listed all different calibres, the info was in this format across the page: -

MR07332
USA
AP, USA, M61: ptd gm fmj; black tip; zinced steel case; FB pr; purple PA; ring pr crimp. jkt cann.

• LC 56
    $2.50

Anyone know who produced the catalogue? I need to get a list of the 7.62x47 and 7.62x49mm rounds as I managed to get a couple of those too and my reference info is lacking somewhat.

I’m sure there are going to be heaps of questions about the ID of certain rounds, some of which seem to be unusual that I will share with you all and hopefully get the correct ID of them.

I’ll start with something a little strange that was in one of the bagged lots, I’m I right to think it’s a ‘snap cap’? o/a length is 2.5 ins., rim dia is 0.4705 in. The centre section of the base seems to float around.

[/quote]

[quote=“NZ L1A1 Collector”]

[quote=“Frank N”]Re: 270 Win. H/S, blank

This appears to be a movie blank, I have an exact same sample made by
an special effects company in Glendale,California. Mine is directly off of a film set in the San Franciso Bay Area. Case is resized to the specs. of 7.62x51 for feeding in a blank firing M60 machine gun.[/quote]

Frank, thanx for the ID of the round, I will catalogue it as a “Movie Blank”, I’m guessing it will produce a larger ‘flash and flame’, more so then a normal military blank.[/quote]

[quote=“NZ L1A1 Collector”]

MR07332
USA

• LC 56
    $2.50

Anyone know who produced the catalogue? [/quote]

That’s from the old “LeClair Davis” catalog. The website has been shut down, but I still have the data. PM me and let me know what you’re looking for.

That’s eerie.

That’s eerie.[/quote]

You can take the site down, but you still can’t hide!