7.62x51

I don’t have the cartridges so I can’t post a picture, a friend has two 7.62x46 one is a plain ball and the other has a silver tip both dated FA 46. The primers on both have a oval shaped o on the primer, does anyone know the significance of this.
Carolyn

Carolyn

If they are headstamped FA 46 they will be the T65 case and are nominally 47mm in length. The primer is a Remington. The “0” supposedly signifies primers that were intended to be sold as a component to handloaders. In 1946, FA was still in the process of evaluating different components, the primer being but one.

Ray

Thank You, and yes they are 47mm in length I forgot to mention that.

Carolyn

BTW, unusual to find the T65 case loaded with an API bullet. If you manage to get a photo of them, please post it.

Ray

T65 (47mm case and all headstamped F A 46) API and two tracers (both of which I believe to be original loadings). A 51mm case is shown on the left for reference.

NATO Dave

Dave

I was curious to see if Carolyn’s API was loaded with one of the Cal .30 bullets, much like the Tracer rounds. Odd that they apparantly made API bullets with a crimp groove specifically for the 47mm case. Although, they did have Ball bullets by then so maybe it’s not that unusual.

Ray