7.62x51

I have the opportunity to purchase a 7.62 x 51 depleted uranium discarding sabot cartridge. Is this a rare item and is it safe to keep in the house? I think I read a article where it stated that as long as there wasn’t dust from the projectile it was safe.
Carolyn

Pretty scarce round. I think most that have them store them in a way that they can’t get bumped or chipped by anything.

The last one of these I saw was priced at $100.00 US and was kept in a sealed plastic tube. This was 15-20 years ago I think, so the value may be different now…

Are you sure it is a “DUDS” round and not the more common “SLAP” variation? Just saying because of the scarcity of the real thing…

Can someone post a pic of the real DUDS round for positive ID purposes?

AKMS

At the last SLICS 2010 I saw one for sale for $100,- / $150,-

at the right side the DUDS round

Please can you provide more details on the duplex round on the far left.

Thanks

NATO Dave

Here is some nice material on the 7.62mm DUDS from the old Forum.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1939&hilit

Dave E

NATODave

I Think it is the M198 7.62×51mm NATO duplex round with two 84-grain (5.4 g) bullets. The developmental designation was T314E3.

but I am not sure about that!

regards

Gyro and NATO Dave,

Might be worth starting a new thread on that duplex. Don’t know much about this series, but thought the T314E3 had solid steel, copper plated projectiles and the interior one had an angled base. Regardless, an interesting variation!

Dave E.

gyrojet

I had the same question as NATO Dave. That is not an M198 nor a T314E3, both of which had solid steel, copper plated bullets.

Do you know what the headstamp is?

We know that there were unrecorded variations of the prototypes (I have one), and T314E1 seems to have been lost somewhere, so this could be one of the variations.

Ray

Ray

headstamp = F A

Interesting! Looking at the bullet core design, I thought France might be a possibility - early French ball rounds have a similar core design. The FA headstamp suggests otherwise. However, Frankford Arsenal did load cartridges using mulit-national components eg US AP bullets into French steel cases.

NATO Dave

Perhaps FA means French Ammunition? (joke)