7.62x51mm identification-"F" hst-Portuguese for RSA

Can anyone identify this cartridge? It is 7.62x51

http://db.tt/kllhR2wL

It was made by FNM of Moscavide, Portugal. The box is labeled "20 ROUND 7,62 x 51 mm o BALL -NATO- F78-" ( = lot number). This was a contract made for South Africa but I’m not sure if it was exclusive of that country.

Thanks! Are these collectible? Rare?

Thanks for the identification, that matches what I have found elsewhere. Are these rare or collectible in any way? Certainly seem like they would have an interesting back story…

This is/was surplus ammunition and is far from being rare. A 7.62 x 51 collector could be interested in headstamps and boxes showing different lot numbers.

I don’t want to be too specific, but they were actually for Rhodesia, South Africa had a fully functional small arms manufacturing capability at this time, there was no need to import ammo.

Will, thanks. Is there actually any connection with South Africa or it was delivered directly to Rhodesia?

The examples I have cover '76 to '78. Are earlier or later years known? Besides ball and tracer, are other loads eg AP known to exist?

I’ve seen reports that the BF headstamp was also manufactured for “Southern African” countries which I assume means Rhodesia. Can anyone confrim this? What production years are known to exist for the BF headstamp? I’ve seen nothing earlier than '79, but this doesn’t mean they don’t exist!

NATO Dave