7.62x51mm red tip

Please help ID a US made 7.62x51mm cartridge. Brass case, “RA + 59” headstamp, red tipped projectile. There is an extra cannelure above the one at the case mouth. I am assuming that this is an “M-62 (overhead fire)” tracer cartridge, but the extra cannelure has me stumped. I have not seen a picture of this cartridge to verify that it is not a reload, only received a written description of it.

AKMS

According to Scrantons folders on tip colours (page 249.5) the Overhead Fire Tracer was made between 1967-69 and doesnt mention an extra cannelure.
I have an example that came out of a packet and it is headstamped
" L C + 6 9 ". Mine does not have an extra cannelure. Iconoclast had one on Auctionarms (auction 7979163) complete with good photo.
I do have German, Iranian, Australian and Malaysian 7.62 tracers with an extra cannelure thou

I have a 7,62x51 tracer whit headstamp DAG 80 this cartridge have a extra cannular, according to The Danish military it is for identification in dark.

I was wondering if this cartridge might not be authentic.

Thanks!

AKMS

The extra cannelure is a Bullet construction feature…it is there to lock the inner tracer capsule in place, so as to stop the Projectile from falling apart under the stresses of firing.
I have a large quantity of Aussie F3 tracer projectiles, unfilled (just the lead inner point, and the gilding metal inner trace cup;) The inner trace cup and lead core are locked into the outer jacket by the upper cannelure, the lower cannelure is for crimping the case mouth to the projectile.

Any “feel in the dark” is just a secondary (and unimportant) advantage…if you could call it that.

It could be that thje sample shown is a “put-together.”…happens often enough in those countries which severely restrict cartridge collecting.

Regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

Looking in " The military catridges 7.62 x 51 NATO and theire developments and variand" all foto’s are cutaway’s, yes with the Australian tracer it is possible the seccond cannalure hold the tracer cannister, but most other tracer the tracer composition or cannister not that far. I assume in most cases it’s only for identification or maybe to hold the lead core in front.
Have also an " 0 RA 61" orange tipped tracer with an extra cannalure.
Wishes, Jan

[quote=“AKMS”]Please help ID a US made 7.62x51mm cartridge. Brass case, “RA + 59” headstamp, red tipped projectile. There is an extra cannelure above the one at the case mouth. I am assuming that this is an “M-62 (overhead fire)” tracer cartridge, but the extra cannelure has me stumped. I have not seen a picture of this cartridge to verify that it is not a reload, only received a written description of it.

AKMS[/quote]

Not sure if it’s real or not but I have one of these too. What’s interesting is the tip colouring appears to be a wax-like substance.

Headstamp: + RA 59
Weight: 373.0gr
o/length: 2.7845 in. (70.73mm)
Primer crimp: Ring
PA colour: Brown?
Tip colour: Red (wax?)
Tip colour length: 0.3935 in. (10mm)
Notes: Extra jacket cannelure

I have one of those as well!!! Mine has a RA 58 + h/s and the same double cannelure on the projectile with the wax coated tip. I got mine off a US collector a couple of years ago (I think)

Any final word on this load? Is it a tracer, experimental or what??? Any nomenclature to go along with it?

AKMS