7.62x51mm trajectory matching cartridges

I am told these are 7.62x51mm trajectory matching cartridges for the 84mm Carl Gustov Recoilless Gun Sub-caliber Device. Does anyone have info on their ballistic specs? What is their official designation? Is this the FFV553?

Ive got a box of 10 cartridges labelled
10 sets
7.62MM CARTRIDGE TRACER
FFV 553
AND
CAP WITH HOLDER
FFV 840

My cartridges are identical to yours, even same year headstamp
I can post photos if you like but I have no further information.
I also have a white tipped 7.62x51 with an earlier headstamp
but still with the half black base and red annulus dated 79

craigt
Thanks a lot for confirming the designation. If you have the time I would truely appreciate seeing a picture of the box label.
Phil

Photo of the box with top and bottom views of the cap/holder

The British Army sub cal for the Charley G was 6.5mm.

What was the purpose of the “Cap”?

The priming mechanism of the gun is located at the side and needs an aid to make it possible to ignite the cartridge around the corner - thus the caps.

So, if I understand correctly, the “Caps” are a booster for the firing pin to increase their impact.

craigt
Nice picture. Thanks.

Does anyone know in what year the changeover from bullets with an ID cannelure to bullets without an ID cannelure occured?

Phil

For more see: eme421.com/84mm.html
globalsecurity.org/military/ … 3-maws.htm
(click on picture in second link

I can’t find the documents on it but it is as I tried to describe vaguely. Sorry I can not tell more (don’t want to guess).

Did we ever manufacture 6.5x55 Spotter ammo? If we did, I have never seen or heard of it.

Falcon
Uses the first link in my previous post and click on the link to “SCTD - old type”. It describes the 2 types of 6.5mm used. Some were made in Sweden.
Phil

All the British army sub calibre 6.5mm rounds for the Charlie G were Swedish made and purchased on contract.

Strictly speaking these are not spotter rounds as they give no flash or smoke on impact. There were two types, the indoor practice round with the small flat nosed 9 grain bullet, “Round 6.5mm Indoor L11A1” , which was later changed to “Round 6.5mm/84mm Infantry Sub Calibre Short Range L11A1” (although packages are marked “Gallery Practice Round”)and the 120 grain white tip tracer “Cartridge 6.5mm Sub-Calibre Reduced Charge L10A1, Tracered”, later changed to “Round 6.5mm Outdoor L10A1” and then changed again to “Round 6.5mm/84mm Infantry Sub-Calibre Short Range L10A1”.

How’s that for a mouthful!

Regards and Happy Christmas to all.
TonyE

The purpose of the ‘Cap’ is to provide a ‘Back Blast’ effect when firing the round.

The Sub-Cal assembly has two firing pins one for the round the other for the cap.

This was done to help remind the user and those observing to remember there is a hell of a blast that comes out the back when firing the Gun.

Here’s some of the 6.5mm rds L-R
L10A1, L10A1 and L11A1

Keven–Thank you. I now understand the purpose of the “Caps”.

[quote=“Armourer”]Here’s some of the 6.5mm rds L-R
L10A1, L10A1 and L11A1
[/quote]

Are they British or Swedish Manufacture? What are the headstamps?

[quote=“Falcon”][quote=“Armourer”]Here’s some of the 6.5mm rds L-R
L10A1, L10A1 and L11A1
[/quote]

Are they British or Swedish Manufacture? What are the headstamps?[/quote]

6 070 3 Tracer Reduced Load L10A1 Sk Ptr m/94 Slprj m/41 white tip
FFV L10A1 88 Tracer Reduced Load Karlsberg for UK Red tip
/6\070/7\ Short range gallery KP +r M12 (UK Reduced load L11A1) Karlsberg Sweden

All Swedish.

I always wondered every time I saw it how that \6/070\4/ headstamped 6.5x55 case I pulled out of a belt of fired RG 7.62x51 cases got mixed in there. The cases and links were probably all range pickups from somewhere that had seen use of 7.62x51 GPMGs and a Carl Gustav spotter.

Falcon: See my post on the previous page of this thread.
All British military 6.5mm sub calibre for the Carl Gustav weapon were of Swedish manufacture and purchased on contract.

Regards
TonyE