7.62x51mm with cupronickel jacket?

I searched the site here in vain for the answer, so have to ask the question again. Why did the Germans (DAG) make some 7.62x51mm ball cartridges with cupronickel clad steel jackets? I think it was early 1990’s production…

AKMS

Did you check with a magnet? It might be tin plated.

It was advertised by the ammunition dealer that it has a nickel plated steel jacket. This is surplus ammunition for sale in the US. Headstamp is “DAG93L0410” with the nato cross in circle. The box says “DM-111”

Looking closely at the pictures, it does look more like nickel than the more dull appearing cupronickel…

You can see this ammunition at aimsurplus.com

AKMS

The DM111 has a tombak or soft iron jacket which is tin coated.

Some early 7.62 x 51mm rounds were made in Argentina using cases from 7.65 x 54mm ammo which had the bullets pulled. The cases were trimmed to length, necked, and had a cupronickel jacketed 7.62mm bullet fitted. The specimen that I had was headstamped //F.M.M.A.P.B//1946 and with a red primer annulus. The primer looked original but I don’t know about the powder.

The bullet had FAL 62 roll stamped onto the side above the casemouth (1962?). Due to the taper of the 7.65mm case the shoulder diameter was undersized for 7.62x51mm at .425" (10.78mm) and would fireform to the chamber on firing.

gravelbelly

As gravelbelly correctly said, when we adopted the FN FAL rifle in 7.62x51 caliber (first belgian rifles then locally produced under license weapons), there are large stocks of 7.65x54 cases in the military factories, since the 7.65x54 bullets were made at this time with cupronickel jackets, the first 7.62x51 bullets were made of this same material, later all the bullet jackets were made of Cu90%-Zn10%.
Regarding the powder used in the argentine 7.62x51 ammo, it´s called A27, it´s a monobasic powder, produced in the Fabrica Militar de Polvoras y Explosivos “Villa Maria” (“Villa Maria” Explosives and Powder Military Plant), with german machinery buy to the Wassag Chemie GMBH. No ball powder was ever produced in Argentina up to date.

As a method of identification of the new caliber, the ammunition plant put markings in the bullet, the sample that gravelbelly mentioned with the FAL 62 markings in the bullet means FAL = Fusil Automatico Liviano (Light Automatic Rifle) 62 = 1962.
This method was followed during four years 59 - 60 - 61 - 62.

OK, thanks for the information. All of the ammunition distributors are describing this as “nickel plated”…

What was the purpose of the tin plating vs. gilding metal? Cost?

Is anything else different about the projectile construction?

AKMS

The lead core of the DM-111 bullets is not exposed, but is covered with the same material as the jacket - similar design to a tracer. I seem to recall a claim that these bullets were “environmentally friendly”. I can’t find this in my notes so it may be more to do with advertising claims rather than reality!

NATO Dave

So is the tin plating simply to identify the “new” DM-111 cartridge vs. the older DM-41? Or, is there some other purpose?

Funny how every reference I find on the internet says these are nickel plated or cupronickel plated… Probably a good lesson on how mis-information can spread like wildfire on the 'net.

To my eye, tin plated items tend to be dull with a coarser texture. I would have sworn these DM-111 were nickel or cupronickel plated…

AKMS

AKMS

I’ve probably no business jumping in here but maybe the tin plating is similar to that used on early cartridges including the original Frankford Arsenal 45 ACP? It had a shiny, silvery look to it unlike the dull look that you described.

Tin plating bullets was thought to lessen bore fouling but I don’t know if that is the intent here.

Ray

Only want to add we have had tons of it over here on the surplus market for the past five or so years.
Somebody somewhere has had a big clear out.

AKMS and NATO Dave, the tin plating is done because the rear part of the projectile has a closure disc to prevent the emission of lead (due to environmental law in Germany).
The same lead was needed to prevent barrel fouling, so the lead gases produced by the hot propelling gas functioned as a decoppering means.
The disc in the projectile’s base prevented the lead from contact with the hot gases and sowith eliminated the decoppering ability.
For this reason the projectile jackets are tinned, they will strip of some tin when passing the barrel and take over the function of the lead. It seems the tin is no environmental issue.
So the claim that these are environmetal friendly is correct.

Thank you EOD, that is the exact answer I was looking for!

AKMS

The 9 mm Fiocchi the police use as training ammo here has a tinned jacket as well. Probably the same reason as that ammo is also supposed to be lead free. The same applies to the RUAG they trained with before the Fiocchi order.
Soren