7.62x54R 011 headstamp

011 headstamps on 7.62x54R rounds dated 1945. The Soviets conquered the PPU factory by this date and I am wondering if this is therefore ammunition made by said factory?

The other darkened and corroded fired casing is NON magnetic, it is also an unknown headstamp of unknown factory origin.

Any help appreciated.

Joe

Joe, it is actually 541 and just a bit close to the edge:

Factory #541, Chelyabinsk, founded in 1941 with evacuated equipment from factories #38 of Tula and #60 of Lugansk, dissolved in 1945 and equipment returned to former locations.

As per the PA color your’s here seems to be refurbished ammo from Yugoslavia which to what we know by now never made copper clad steel cases.

The “S V” is also found in Russia and unidentified there.

Alex,

Thank you.

Joe

The Soviets never made it to Yugoslavia…Tito did not want them, he had everything well in hand; and Prvi Partizan was in Titoist hands well before 1945. ( Prvi Partizan==First Partisan Factory)

PPU did refurbish Soviet ammo in the early fifties, but by then Tito had broken with the Soviet Union on Policy, and was “going it alone”.

Doc AV

Doc,

I am part Serbian and have been there in 1979 for a month and again in 1991 for two weeks. I spoke with several relatives, some of whom fought in WWII. The Soviets helped quite a bit with air powder and ground offensives late in the war. Including one major offensive of the Soviet 3rd Ukrainian Front pushing through eastern Yugoslavia and SW Hungaria. Yes Tito said kindly afterwards, “Thank you and a good journey home to you”.

Prvi Partizan in Užice, Serbia was originally founded in 1928 under the name FOMU - Fabrika Oružja I Municije Užice, by ammunition maker Jakob Posinger from Slovenia. Other than that I am not to familiar as to who operated it during WWII. I was under the understanding it was leveled when the Germans got there. Then partially rebuilt in the underground facility after the Germans were pushed back out of the area or left for other ventures… I made an assumption they possibly might have made some ammo for the Soviets since they were there in country and a long way from their supply lines.

Joe

The Soviets never made it to Yugoslavia…Tito did not want them, he had everything well in hand; and Prvi Partizan was in Titoist hands well before 1945. ( Prvi Partizan==First Partisan Factory)

PPU did refurbish Soviet ammo in the early fifties, but by then Tito had broken with the Soviet Union on Policy, and was “going it alone”.

Doc AV

Doc, refurbished Russian ammo we know from PPU with dates as late as 1968. Maybe even later, depends on how long stocks lasted and what was needed.
I am sure if we will look up all sources (also artillery ammo) we will find refurbishing dates up to the late 1980s or even early 1990s.

Does anyone have another picture of the “SV” heasdstamp round I posted picture of?

Alex, 541 as I understand did not produce 7.62x54R at this time in history. Does anyone have a headstamp picture of such?

Joe

Joe, looking at it it also can be #544 “Glazov Flax Mill” of Glazov. Actually it is even more likely.
Production documented 1944-1946.

#541 did not make 7.62x54R to what we know - only 7.62x25.

For comparison, here are two examples of 544 headstamps from 1945 and 1946. Most of them are hard to read, but it seems that the number “4” having a lower line was only used in some lots made in 1945.

45454545_zps2bpewbv4.jpg~original

766767_zpsvun6pcbg.jpg~original

Any additional information on the picture of the “SV” heasdstamp round I posted picture of?

Alex, “The “S V” is also found in Russia and unidentified there.” Any elaboration as to where in Russia they are found?

Joe

Joe, no idea, this hs turned up in ID requests years ago.