7.62x54R all black bullet thread?

I seem to recall seeing a thread about some 7.62X54R ammo with all black bullets…can anyone point me to it?

I found some of this ammo and can’t remember what it was for sure.

Thanks!!

This should be the “UZ” gun proof round. Could you show us an image?

The East Germans also loaded a practice round in this caliber with an all black (dark grey really) projectile. Pics and headstamp would be helpful.

AKMS

My bet is with AKMS on this one. It is most likely the E. German practice rounds.
Is the ammo in this link what you are talking about?..
7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo034.htm

Sorry I don’t have pictures and I can’t recall the headstamp. They were copper washed steel cases, red sealant on the primer - sloppy application that covered most of the primer. The bullets have a matt black colored finish which doesn’t appear to be paint.

I have seen a picture of this round posted here (I think?) and I think the consensus may have been some kind of factory reload??? The bullet has a different profile than the typical 7.62X54R bullets. Is shorter and the taper is less gradual.

The rounds were packaged in some generic looking pinkish colored cardboard boxes, 20 rounds per box.

Also, I could see what appear to be brass colored shavings, possibly where the bullet had been pressed into the steel case. Are there any brass bullets with black coatings in 7.62?

[quote=“ASCorley”]My bet is with AKMS on this one. It is most likely the E. German practice rounds.
Is the ammo in this link what you are talking about?..
7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo034.htm[/quote]

The bullet very similar to that E German ammo, but the cases are copper washed.

I’m just going to have to buy this ammo and post some pictures!!! :)

The "

John, 22 for Romania is correct.
The East German cases are even not to be found in German collections today.

EOD - I know. I would not even know they existed if I didn’t have the fine book on K

Yes, they must be as good as Finnish steel cases from WWII.

It does appear to be the East German Ammo and the headstamp is, in fact, 22 80. Here are some pictures.

There were 10 boxes of this stuff… I’ll find out if I bid high enough next week. :)

It is East German ammunition, but it is loaded on cases from other of the former Warsaw Pact nations.

Thanks for the information everyone! You guys know your stuff!!!

I’ve read on the shooter forums that this is nice shooting ammunition, although corrosive primed. Not nearly so punishing on the shoulder as the 182gr. type “D” heavy ball!

I have a sectioned example of this cartridge in my collection. It is interesting to note that the projectile is basicly the 7.62x39mm “PS” steel core, but with a flat base instead of a boat-tail. I can only assume that this was done to reduce it’s long range stability in an effort to give it somewhat of a shorter range. It could also be that the flat base makes the projectile more like the flat based T-45 tracer projectile that is used in the tracer version of this round, giving the two a better matched trajectory.

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]I’ve read on the shooter forums that this is nice shooting ammunition, although corrosive primed. Not nearly so punishing on the shoulder as the 182gr. type “D” heavy ball!

I have a sectioned example of this cartridge in my collection. It is interesting to note that the projectile is basicly the 7.62x39mm “PS” steel core, but with a flat base instead of a boat-tail. I can only assume that this was done to reduce it’s long range stability in an effort to give it somewhat of a shorter range. It could also be that the flat base makes the projectile more like the flat based T-45 tracer projectile that is used in the tracer version of this round, giving the two a better matched trajectory.

AKMS[/quote]

What does the “PS” mean?

I had read that this ammo wasn’t particularly accurate, but I suppose it depends on the firearm it’s coming out of. I was interested in getting some for my small collection just because I’ve never seen it before.

I know what you mean about the shoulder punishment. I have a 50 cal ammo can full of the Czech hollow core ammo that is quite accurate out of my M91/30. I can shoot that stuff all day long! :)

“PS” is the Soviet designation for a steel cored ball projectile.

Some Mosins shoot some ammo well, others not so well. My 91/30 does not shoot the Polish surplus stuff well that others rave about, but groups nicely with other varieties of surplus.

AKMS