7.62x54r assortment from bins

I don’t really collect 7.62x54r but I pulled out a bunch of 100+year old headstamps along with some bronze tips and BZT (what are BZT rounds worth anyway?)

Your blackened case Remingtion & the tinned case WRACo’s are proof loads

who is headstamp “85 3” brass case?

Can’t see it.
If so it is Albania.

@EOD
Here ya go, forgot it.

Also, the one with some head corrosion has no headstamps that I can see. Any idea who it is? Multi-segment crimp around neck. ETA: crimp looks the same as the VPT 7.62x53r

This is Albania.

The one without hs you need to show.

It’s in the original pictures. Far left.

Greeting from a new guy. I live on a ranch in southeastern Arizona, between Tombstone and Fort Huachuca (US Army post). I’ve found 100s of interesting and old shell casings around here - but recently found a big surprise. A very tarnished 7.62x54R with headstamp of 671 or 871 (even with 10x magnifier, I can’t be sure) over 53*7. The casing looks MUCH too worn and old to be from 1953, so I’m guessing that’s not a year/month.

This is the area of Wyatt Earp’s wild west and the Indian Wars against the Apache and Chiricahua. Camp Huachuca (before it became a Fort) was established in 1877 and played a central role in securing the old west, as well as training soldiers for WW1 and WW2. Still, finding a 7.62x54R out here surprises me.

Can anyone help decipher the headstamp?

Many Thanks, R.J.

Ok, that is one made after 1930.
Not too many choices for an un-headstamped case.
Maybe Spain?

Thank you. The top three numbers have a * before and after (star 671 star). When I typed that into the forum, it converted the text to italics. Not sure if that helps.

For my education, what tells you that it was post 1930?

@RangerJoe, EOD is responding to my query about an un head stamped case. It’s most likely post 1930 due to the case head being angular instead of smooth.

Yours with a 671 would be a China manufacturer, Month 7 of 1953. The very oldest 7.62x54r cartridges date back to the 1890’s. Is it attracted to a magnet?

Joe, sorry for confusion. Seems you posted right 1 sec before I clicked to post.

Do you have images of your headstamps?

@jestertoo : Ah - thanks for clarification and sorry for my mis-cue. No, the case is not steel, it is brass and Berdan primed. I’m actually surprised it is as new as 1953; I find USGI brass with 1930~40s headstamps out here that look better than this case. Of course, 60+ years on the AZ desert floor can wear anything.

ETA: Best photo I could grab with my phone:

Thank you, RJ

Ok, it seems Jess said all about this headstamp.

Thanks all - I’ve spent several hours exploring this site; awesome amount of useful information and friendly folks. Sua Sponte