7,62x54r blue tip, 1951

Hi,
Did any country use standard heavy bullets [11.7 g] in 7.62x54r with blue tip?
On the photo a repaint from standard yellow bullet, a batch of ammo disassembled/destroyed or test at the factory.
PL / 21 / Mesko, probably from a case made in 1951.
I know only one hypothesis about exporting to Korea /1950-53/, but this is probably just a loose guess.

Regards,
PM

The long yellow tipped one could be from a “VD” HPT load if the “long” HPT projectile was not available by the time it was made.
Of course just a guess.

Why you think the repaint was related to Korea?
When from Mesko testing it is more likely that it is a factory internal marking applied to test loads.

Hmm maybe good idea, i use on the photo this two yellow only to compare/variations painting, but maybe it means something. VD have a 12,8 g.
Similar in the 7,62x39 black tip UZ type, 7,9 g. I have a two length of painting.
Clipboard04

Its only a friends idea - I do not know where it came from.
Maybe yes, maybe someday we’ll find out.

Any idea as to what this is on the blue tip bullet? See red arrow.

Brian

Brian, such and similar marks are not uncommon with pulled projectiles.

1 Like

Przemek, with the black tip it might be easier as in the WAPA system no plain black tips existed so the length was not as important.
As per WAPA marking regulations the “VD” was supposed to have a long yellow tip or when the special “long” projectile is used the color is dropped (though there is a such a Hungarian 7.62x39 “VD” load which in addition has the projectile all yellow).

Alex,

I suspected that was the case but was not sure, thanks for the confirmation.

Brian

Yes, its a pulled bullet, in the yellow it is also. And lot more bullets from one place:
For ex. two not pulled/in original cases. One hunting cart., and there are also mistakes in painting.
[or the traces of the clamping force measurement]

Nice info, long yellow tip is new for me, thanks.

1 Like

Przemek, the best known example of the yellow tipped “VD” HPT is the Russian 5.45x39.

Image from the internet (maybe even from this forum).

Ah yes, exactly.
By the way 5.45, the same example long and short black tip, and VD. Yellow PL made i ve never seen.

1989 92 93

OK, for those of us who are ignorant on the subject can someone please explain what the three 5.45x39mm cartridges are in the photo posted by Przemek (above).

Am I correct to assume these are Polish loadings?

Thanks!

Brian

1 Like

Przemek, Russia/USSR used the yellow tipped variant in 5.45x39 as they did not make the long “short ogived” projectile as can be seen on the right cartridge (no color required as it is hard to missinterpret). When no such special projectiles were loaded but anything “pointed” the color code “long yellow” was in force. The yellow tip is already described in Soviet documents from the 1930s.

Brian, the 2 left ones are supposed to be “UZ” (weapon proof) and the one to the right is a “VD” (barrel proof).
Actually I do not have the Polish designations on hand and “UZ” and “VD” are the Russian ones.
Przemek will clarify.

1 Like

Polish production /21/ Mesko.
As in 7,62x39 black tip UZ / УЗ = enhanced load, for used in the production and repair of weapons, is used to test the strength of the firing mechanisms/bolts.
VD / ВД - heavy bullet, high pressure, for barrel test.
I dont have PL designations. In plates from old museum Mesko for two othe technologial types [one for helmet test] of ammo i have only name, without “short designation”.
On box from 7,62x25 for test helmets is a text “WZM” = “Wzmocniony” but its only for “enhanced load”.

I have never delved into the beginnings of Russian cartridges of this type.
As in PL prewar, standard bullet, enhanced…, in Mauser 7,92mm and 9x19. I did not see in prewar papers a work about “other shape” enchanced bullets, only very many types short range, but in experimental area.

Back to 7,62, two pulled bullets VD /2, 3/ with a strong crimp in neck case:
Clipboard01343

1 Like