7.62x54R help

Raised headstamp: G-17 7.62. Nice looking “golden” round. What is G-17?

“G” is Greenwood & Batley Ltd. Leeds, UK. Made for Russia in 1917. Please could you send me a photo of this round? I would be interested in buying it if it could be inerted, as it would make a nice addition to my British ammo collection.

I have also some G-17 ammos.

Thank for info, unfortunately, this one came to me as a trade. I have only one and I need it. But Hammer seems to have a lot (I guess there are some good things about Winter War), maybe he can spare. Are there any other Mosin-Nagant headstamps which are not easy to identify?

Thanks for the photo. That round looks as if it has been lacquered, as some of it is still shiny, but some of the lacquer has rubbed off, allowing the round to tarnish This. lacquer can be removed. I usually leave a lacquered round in industrial paint thinner overnight, which seems to shift any lacquer easily, while doing no damage to the round.

Was this round lacquered originally by Greenwood & Batley, or someone decided to give it a royal make-over?

These cartridges would not have been lacquered, Greenwood and Batley left them as natural brass.

gravelbellly

There are also different versions of the G17 headstamp. Some have the letter “F” with a number code after it. I have 7.62x54 ones headstamped “G.17.F.4” and “G.17.F.7”.

Gravelbelly is right in what he says - I don’t think any British cartridges were ever lacquered by any factory. I have not long tried to get some more of the industrial paint thinners I use for removing lacquer, but apparently the one with the same product number as mine hasn’t been made since '92, although I’m sure I can find another similar product.

Acetone works well to remove lacquer, but you do need to very carful when using it as it the vapors are heavier than air and are VERY flammable. At least here in the US it can be purchased at most hardware stores or places that sell auto refinishing paint supplies.

It used to be popular in the US to nicely polish and laquer collector cartridges. Who needs color tips and markings? Fortunately that fell out of favor (sorry Falcon and Dave, I mean favour).

“G.17.F.4” is the headstamp for Government Cartridge Factory Number 4. This factory was built at Edmonton, North London, in 1916 and was run by Eley brothers. It commenced production of the 7.62x54R cartridge for Russia. There was also G.18.F.4 from this factory. I don’t know about the G.17.F.7 headstamp.

gravelbelly

There were only the four Government Cartridge Factories. I suspect what appears as a GCF 7 headstamp is in fact a “2”, the GCF that was part of the Royal Laboratory at Woolwich.

The G17 Greenwood and Batley headstamp is totally seperate from the GCF headstamps, as G & B did not manage any of the GCFs.

Regards
TonyE

Have I mentioned how cool this site is?
Upon closer examination, it looks like what I thought was a 7 is really a 1. Who made that?

‘G.C.F.1’ = Government Cartridge Factory No 1. It was located at Blackheath just west of Birmingham from where it was run for the Government by BSA&M Co (Birmingham Small Arms & Metal Company). G.C.F.1 later made .303 Mk VIIZ.
After the Russian Revolution in October 1917 manufacture of 7.62 x 54R was brought to a halt in Britain. Until that time 60% of British SAA production during 1917 had been devoted to making 7.62 x 54R. The Russians couldn’t make enough themselves and the Brit’s didn’t want the Russian Front collapsing and releasing those German soldiers to fight on the Western Front.
G.C.F.4.18? Hard to believe. The factory was used to repair aero engines in 1918. Any hard evidence on this hst?
There are two types of ‘G17 7.62’ hst - stamped and raised. I need the raised type - inert for post is fine. Regards JohnP-C