7.62x54R I.D

Can anyone the following? It’s a 7.62x54R Russian. Silver lacquered steel case, flat brass primer with red sealant, h/s is 27 78, bullet is magnetic with a silver tip and red sealant by case mouth.
Carolyn

The case should be more of a grayish color and the headstamp is probably 21 78. If both the above are accurate, you have Hungarian Light Ball ammo, mid steel core, made in 1978. Not very collectible, but excellent shooting ammo.

Hi Jon
Thank You, The date is as you stated. I just started collecting some of the Metric military calibers and trying to find some of the more uncommon rounds is hard so I guess I was hoping it was something unusual.
Carolyn

Don’t stop, metric-military is a BIG area. Let me know if you’re looking for any specific calibers or rounds.

The most common round on the market, available by the millions, is collectable if you collect that field and it is not in your collection yet. I think a better description of rounds like this would be that they are interesting, collectable, but not of high trade or monetary value due to being commonly encountered.

The most common round on the market, available by the millions, is collectable if you collect that field and it is not in your collection yet. I think a better description of rounds like this would be that they are interesting, collectable, but not of high trade or monetary value due to being commonly encountered.

John, you are correct, but I got it the first time ;)

Jon - just wanted to be sure you understood the deep philosophy of the answer, know you guys from Pennsylvania are pretty hard-headed. Ooops, my mother just came back from the grave and kicked me in the butt for that statement (for others, Jon is well aware that fully one-half of my heritage is from Pennsylvania, and that i am just kidding him).

I have no idea why my answer printed twice, and didn’t even notice it. I love computers - they are like our wives, when you push a button, they never do the same thing twice!

Boy, I am getting myself into deep trouble here!