7,62x54R Increased accuracy Double element core

Here Box and normal looking ammo from the outside.
If I had enough, I would have made a cut, but I havent…
Will post later the pic from the catalogue showing a drawing from a half-cut…but there are no specs given, how it works and from what are the 2 materials…

sideview of box:

Peter

and here as an Addition the pic from the catalogue (normal) and enlarged…

enlarged:
eml%20pice%20of%20the%20dc

clear to see, that there are 2 parts as core…but from what??

Peter

Dear Peter,

The photo shows 7N14 military sniper cartridge, which is sold as a civilian cartridge of increased accuracy.
This is a variant of cartridge 7N1, which was developed in Klimovsk in the late 60s of the last century for the Dragunov sniper rifle (SVD). After the development of the rifle, it became clear that it was impossible to realize its potential due to the absence of accurate cartridges in the USSR. All cartridges in the former USSR, including 7.62 x 54 R cartridges, were three-component and contained a thin lead layer between the jacket and the core. Such cartridges allow reducing the barrel channel wear, but, by definition, do not provide accurate shooting.

All this is considered in my book.

Designer Peter Sazonov, whom I personally knew, developed a two-component sniper cartridge with a composite core, which includes a steel core in the forward portion of the bullet and a lead core in the cylindrical and rear portion of the bullet. The cartridge has become a two-component with a corresponding decrease in the dispersion of the trajectories.

Mikhail

2 Likes

Peter, it is the usual 7N1.

Hello Mikhail

it must be the 7N1 Bullet, as the core has the flat tip in front… (and it is a weak iron core)
The 7N14 has a POINTED Core, as you can see in the x-ray attached…
The 7N1 was sold commercially already to the US, as it was outdated…but a 7N14 is still used and has a hardened core, not the soft core like the 7N1…
Here the pic of the x-ray:

7N14%20scharfe%20spitzen%20ausschnitt

and here the flatnosed core from the 7N1:
7_62x54r_sn_cutaway_bullet%207n1

sincerely

Peter

Peter,

Can you scan and post the LVE catalog, if it is not too big?

Brian

Dear forum members,

Indeed, the front end of the core of the 7N1 cartridge is flat, and the front end of the core of the 7N14 cartridge is pointed. But in the photo the core is not visible, we can only guess at.

I consider the drawing of the cartridge in the post as conditional.

The 7N14 cartridge was developed at the Novosibirsk plant of low voltage equipment (LVE) by designers Nikolai Ulyanin and Igor Nekrasov, whom I personally knew. I assumed that the cartridge produced at this plant is the 7N14 cartridge.
The question was about using a composite core. In any case, the composite core is a technical solution found during the development of the 7N1 cartridge.

Mikhail

About double-element core from LVE

http://www.lveplant.ru/new_ru.php?id_news=43

1 Like

Yes, now it is obvious that this is a civilian version of the 7N1 cartridge.

1 Like

here it is:
sibfire catalogue.pdf (3.1 MB)

3 Likes

Peter,

Thanks very much for the link to the catalog!

Brian

I just found that there is one difference in the civilian version of the 7N1!

The civilain has a real tombak jacket while the military has a copper clad soft steel jacket.

Both civilian and military cartridges contain a cartridge case and a bullet with the jacket, which are manufactured from bimetal. Bimetal used to manufacture of cartridge cases and bullet jackets represents tombac clad steel. In the former USSR and later in Russia, for the manufacture of cartridge cases and bullet jackets tombac is used, which represents brass with 90% copper content.

Mihail, as said the commercial version has an all tombak jacket, no clad soft steel or so like the military variant has.