7.62x54r Low Recoil/ Short Range

7.62x54r low recoil/ short range, steel jacket with hollow core lead projectile. White tip, headstamp BXN/ 66, Sellier & Bellot, Prague, Czechoslovakia

Hey, nice one! I’ve aquired one of these some weeks ago and was just about to section it during the holiday. Although I’ll do so anyway, I have an impression now of how it should look like :-) Please keep on sawing, grinding and posting Wolfgang, your sectioned models are very interesting!

Regards,
Thijs.

[quote=“wolfganggross”] 7.62x54r low recoil/ short range, steel jacket with hollow core lead projectile. White tip, headstamp BXN/ 66, Sellier & Bellot, Prague, Czechoslovakia[/quote]Wolfgang, thank you for keeping things coming! I suggest to describe the round more precise:

It is a short range ctg which has low recoil as a side effect.
I read the producer mark as bxn, lower case.
The bullet as I know it is fully “green”, no lead involved.
Sellier & Bellot is operating for 80 or 90 years in Vlasim, another town and way too far to walk from Prague in a day.

Hans

It is noteworthy that the same projectile is used in their 7.62x39mm Reduced Range load. Certainly a “green” projectile, as all componants are steel, but was this the intent or just a byproduct of it’s design?

AKMS

AKMS,
“green” only as an unplanned feature, in the 40s nobody would have given a thought. This projectile was also used in the 7,62x45 vz. 52 and its predecessors.

Hans

Thanks everyone for the positive responses. Its hard to tell diffrence from lead to zinc to any other soft silver metal. This cut real easy and the “green” hollow core was pliable. Just took a guess at lead. Its amazing at how the ones you least expect intresting, turns out to fool you!