7.62x54r ShKas case finish?

I recently read a translated Soviet manual that says that the 7.62x54r ShKas
cartridges had a special finish on the copper washed steel cases to aid in extraction. The translated word is “varnish”, but that does not seem right to my thinking. The manual also mentions protecting the cartridges so the finish won’t come off. Again, this does not sound like “varnish” or lacquer, which when dry is pretty durable. The ShKas marked cartridges I have seen do not seem to have any special coatings. Could this reference be mis-translated somehow? Maybe the “coating” is something like the dry wax used on some steel cased German 7,9 cartridges during WWII? Anyone have ShKas cartridges that look like they have a special coating on the case?

AKMS

[quote=“AKMS”]I recently read a translated Soviet manual that says that the 7.62x54r ShKas
cartridges had a special finish on the copper washed steel cases to aid in extraction. The translated word is “varnish”, but that does not seem right to my thinking. The manual also mentions protecting the cartridges so the finish won’t come off. Again, this does not sound like “varnish” or lacquer, which when dry is pretty durable. The ShKas marked cartridges I have seen do not seem to have any special coatings. Could this reference be mis-translated somehow? Maybe the “coating” is something like the dry wax used on some steel cased German 7,9 cartridges during WWII? Anyone have ShKas cartridges that look like they have a special coating on the case?

AKMS[/quote]

In the mid of WWII the Shkas cartridges was admit to normal use with stamdard army weapons, including light MG. To avoid problems with extraction fired cases, Schkass cartridges was covered with transparent varnish, which had yellowish tint.