7.62x54R Sintered Iron Bullet?

Many years ago I was visiting Frank Wheeler (which tells you how many years ago that was) and and got a couple of 7.62x54R rounds that Frank said were sintered iron bullets. I still have one and the headstamp is 60 44. I recently found another 6 of the cartridges that appear identical-even the same headstamp. both rounds weigh 340gr. The round from Frank is on the bottom of this photo and the lower bullet knurl photos is from the cartridge from Frank.

Is this actually a sintered iron bullet, and if so how unusual is it.

Cheers, Lew

This bullet most probably is an “L” type (light lead core) bullet, but tin?? or zink?? plated instead of the usual tombac. I’ll scan a pulled specimen later.

radom1

Is the bullet magnetic? It does look like zinc now you come to mention it Random1

Sorry about getting your name wrong Radom, finger trouble.

I had one like that in my collection some years ago. It had a zinc plated or parkerized steel jacket but was otherwise a normal “L” ball projectile. As I recall, the cannelure was not smooth like the ones in the picture, but I could be mistaken. I’ve not heard of sintered iron 7.62x54r, but that does not mean that they did not exist.

AKMS

Lew, this one looks like the late war production where no copper or tombak was used for the surfaces of the projectile jackets. These are not uncommon and do exist in other calibers as well (12.7x108 and 14.5x114).
The plant No 60 after it got evacuated from Lugansk in Ukraine to Frunze (old name was Bishkek) in Kyrgyzstan in 1941 made even 7.62x54R steel cases without copper plating.
I think sintered projectiles were way too far ahead for the USSR at that time.

Lew, the bottom bullet looks like it has mold block marks on it. Is that just a bad plating job?

Gourd

Since you have extras, the only way to know for sure is to section one!

AKMS