7.62x54R "Western 20"

Since Peter brought up Remington and Westinghouse made Mosin-Nagants (and I am lucky to have them), how common are these guns in Europe? In the States they are not rare, but appear to be “off-the-market” meaning people are holding on to them, so one does not see them at gun shows a lot.
These guns were seen as “foreign” and “cheap” and were frequently sporterized for hunting purposes, As you know, hunters use minimal amount of ammo (just need to kill a deer or two) so they were definitely not the ones to generate a massive demand for huge lots of 7.62x54R.

Original condition Mosins produced in the U.S., especially those with US army inspection and proof marks are worth a good bit, but the Remingtons and Westinghouses that made it to Russia and went through heavy field use and rebuilds are generally far less sought after. The rifles in the first group above have been here every since WW.I, while those in the second group came in as well-used merchandise from the late 1950s onward. There were, of course, original rifles sold by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship in the 1920s for small sums in this country, but the majority of these received backyard sporterizing jobs and are generally not regarded as collectible. Jack

1 Like

Sporting ammunition for 7.62x54R was made in the USA well into the 1950’s and 60’s. Somewhere I have acatalog from Remington showing it, and also 8mm Lebel. In the heyday of surplus rifle sales, there was a market for both these calibers.