7.63 Mauser. Odd bullet

Bought in Germany cartridge with the odd bullet. I have not seen such a shape bullets in any catalog. No headstamp. Maybe someone has information about this cartridge?

patronen.su/forum/index.php? … 0504;image
patronen.su/forum/index.php? … 0506;image

2moutrage,

The image links you listed go to the log in/registration page for the Patronen.su web site.
Do we have to register to see the images?

Brian

s017.radikal.ru/i408/1311/d2/981818eaf5f2.jpg
s020.radikal.ru/i717/1311/23/4b89fbe39cc1.jpg

That is a very odd bullet for a 7.63 Mauser, I don’t recall ever seeing one like that before. Good find.
I wonder how easily that would feed in turn-of-the-century Mauser pistol?
How does the over-all length compare to a standard ball cartridge?

s57.radikal.ru/i156/1311/7f/9a09cc62348a.jpg
Can it the truncated rifle bullet? I will surely extract and will study a bullet when I will receive a cartridge. Or it an unknown sample from Westley Richards?

p.s. My last find images9.fotki.com/v1518/photos/5 … 401-vi.jpg

2Moutrage - I have a very similar round, also no headstamp. In profile, as in your second picture, it is the same as yours as far as I can tell. However, unlike in your first picture, mine has a well–defined, flat meplat. My case appears pretty much the same as yours, with a rather narrow extractor groove and extractor-groove bevel, and a rim with very little, if any, bevel to its edge, making it appear to be thicker than normal, although I don’t think it really is. The bullet jacket takes a magnet, so I would classify the jacket on mine as CNCS. My round has a lightly app;ied segmental mouth crimp which I don’t see in your picture, but it could be there. You do not mention that, even though when discussing unheadstamped cartridges, every feature of the cartridge is important. Mine has a flat copper primer, giving it somewhat of a British look, even though I have classified it as unknown manufacture.

It would be helpful if you gave more details with entries like this. I note in your nice picture of the full clip of cartridges with the “All-Range” bullet, you tell us nothing about the headstamp, if any, the markings on the clip itself, if any, the primer cup material, etc. Knowing these things would complete the picture for those of us very much interested in your thread.

By the way, I see no reason why this bullet should be problematic in feeding in a C’96-type Mauser pistol. The Mauser has a fairly straight-line feeding, and bottle-neck cartridges in general are not quite as fussy as cartridges with basically a full diameter bullet as to ogive and tip material.

This bullet does have a fairly unique shape, but I have SP-bulleted rounds in this caliber with even more exposed lead to the soft-point, primarily from UMC and REM-UMC. Further, the tip shape is not nearly so radical as that of the lead-tipped, mushroom-shaped Westely Richards All-Range bullet.

I’ll have to take my Mauser “Bolo” to the range this week to take a better look at the feed angle.

2moutrage, please, can you post a picture of the headstamp?

I’m sorry, but the cartridge is not in my hands. So today I can show photos that graciously agreed to do my German friend, a former broker for buying.
s018.radikal.ru/i528/1311/94/26d7ae6048da.jpg
You can see that my cartridge is very similar to the cartridge described by John

John, thanks for your answer! I promise to make additional photos when cartridges are in my hands. But I did not say that the Mauser C96 can not use “all range”. I said that Mauser deforms the lead mushroom when bolt move the cartridge from the magazine into the barrel. So I doubt that the cartridge is “all range” can surely hit the target at long distances

2Montrage - I am sorry that I did not explain properly. My comments about the feeding of the Mauser Pistol with such ammunition was an answer to Jon’s questioning of whether the Soft-Nose cartridge you pictured as the main reason for the thread would work well or not in a Mauser. Any comment regarding the Westley Richards All-Range bullet was simply to indicate that they were produced for the Muaser (actually in England and Germany) and were made long enough that it would seem they must have worked in that pistol, even though having a more extreme bullet shape than the cartridge you pictured. It had nothing to do with anything you said on this thread.

Bench-rest rifle shooters have proven that slight deformations of the tip of a bullet are not critical to accuracy, whereas the condition of the base of the bullet is an essential element of accuracy.

And, of course, the cartridge you pictured on this thread is not the All-Range bullet, as you well know, so I did not intend to intimate that it was. I was referring to your second picture showing a stripper clip full of ammunition of that type.

Again, sorry if I expressed myself in a confusing manner.