7.63 Mauser pistol Ammo

http://s586.photobucket.com/albums/ss309/majorbeau_2009/?action=view&current=IMG_0339.jpg

Made it visible here, should help a bit:

The question:

“7.63 Mauser pistol Ammo
Box shown is some really good shooting ammo. Head stamped SBP 7.63. Can someone tell me the approximate date of this ammo, and any other details you care to share.”

I believe it is pre-WWII, 1930s.

Jon, I have met this specific blue-green box color only on post war boxes so far, same with the “label around corner”. Might it be post 1945? Or just tell me that I am wrong.

I could be wrong. I saw some of this in surplus that came out of China, so I figured it must have gotten there pre-war. If you know otherwise I bow to you.

This is a relatively common box in the U.S. I am inclined to believe it is post-war commercial ammunition. Considering Czech labeling practices, to me there is no chance that this was made originally for the military. Like Jon, though, even though I think it is post-war, I am not sure at all.

The picture is too poor to tell, but it appears that the case mouth on the round has a heavy roll crimp. What I believe to be post-war rounds have a heavy rolled and segmented mouth crimp, and a very dark purple primer seal that looks black except where it thins as it comes up over the curved sides of the primer cup. Also, it appears that they redesigned the extractor groove and extractor groove bevel, which is wider than the earlier rounds.

Rounds I judge to be pre-war or perhaps even war-time commercial rounds have the same headstamp - looks like it could be the same bunter, but have a true black primer seal, and have three, stab-type bullet crimps at the neck. They are found with GMCS and CNCS bullets.

Sellier & Bellot made the 7.63 x 25m/m Mauser cartridge from at least as early as 1925,

John, if the extractor groove is wider than on a normal 7.63 it might be a Tokarev case with commercial hs in order not to produce two case types. This might also indicate a post 1945 production. Tell me if my thought is totally off the practice.
No expert on Czech ammo here?

Alex,

You’re not off-base at all in my opinion. I should have mentioned, when I talked about post-war widening of the extractor groove and extractor groove bevel, and the roll-type mouth crimp, that it matched those of the Tokarev rounds produced by SBP early in the 1950s, and that’s actually what started me believing they were post-war, not pre-war. I didn’t know the box style at all then, and even now, am not positive when I look at the 1930s and 1940s SBP boxes what probable dates I am looking at. As you know, those rounds did not use the stab neck crimps of most Tokarev ammo, even a fair portion of the post war production.

I suspect you are right on - at least, you share my opinion exactly. If you are wrong, so am I.

John, aha, good to hear!

The 9x19mm S&B boxes this color that I have are all post-WWII. The truth is I have only seen one S&B 9x19 box I know was pre-WWII and it was in the museum at Vlaism, and had a truncated bullet round illustrated on the label. It was nothing like this label.

I had some of this S&B 7.63m/m Mauser in the 25-round aquamarine box, the cartridge cases of which had a mixture of double and offset single Berdan flash holes, leading me to think it was made in the immediate post-1945 period. JG

Looks like I will have to revise my notes.