7.63x25 Mauser the most un-usual box

I got this at Matamoras,PA.
First, 4 general views of the box.

Now, the headstamps inside the box

Now, I dis-assembled the box and then re-assembled it

Any comments, jokes and other info will be cheerfully accepted.

Those would make pretty spicy tacos! Any idea when they were loaded? Probably pre-Starline. I have a few ball and blank loads using similar cases. Interesting use of recyled cardboard.

Is it common to use cut down 223 brass for these round?

Edited to add: I see now that it is…

It was, until Starline came out with nice reloadable brass, not to mention the Privi commercial Boxer ammo.

I like that ink stamp on the back of the box.

Hey, I remember that place. They used to sell a whole bunch of different types of wildcat ammunition. I had a catalog of theirs from way back in the very early 90s/late 80s. …It had that same ‘no BS’ stamp on it. They stopped selling ammunition a long time ago though. I never ended up ordering anything from them, and I think I finally threw that catalog away about a year ago.

AS: Arghhhhh! Please - never, never throw away a catalog. Somebody would want it. I would love to have a catalog for this place, shut down now or not. History is history, whether the place is still in operation or not.

I accumulate a lot of extra catalogs. I take them, with some exceptions, to our California cartridge collector’s show every year, in Southern California, and put them on a table as free giveaways. Most of them usually end up with a home.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]AS: Arghhhhh! Please - never, never throw away a catalog. Somebody would want it. I would love to have a catalog for this place, shut down now or not. History is history, whether the place is still in operation or not.

I accumulate a lot of extra catalogs. I take them, with some exceptions, to our California cartridge collector’s show every year, in Southern California, and put them on a table as free giveaways. Most of them usually end up with a home.[/quote]
I know, I know. I really wish I hadn’t tossed it. In my defense, aside from the cover, it wasn’t a very impressive catalog. Just basically a printed out copy of all the calibers he offered. I don’t even recall if he had listed any prices for them. Still, it’s not my normal MO. I still have every catalog that I ever got from The Old Western Scrounger. The earliest one from 1990. I can remember talking to Dangerous Dave on the phone back then, when I was only a naive 19yr old. I managed to talk him into selling me a round of 20x138B for my collection. He was reluctant, but finally sold one to me for $15. I still have it too! It’s not my most valuable piece, but certainly my proudest.

Allen

Hi,
My sisted bought a box of 7,63x25mm about 1976 in Miami.
I can not find one cartridge I keep for my collection but they have similar head stamps.
They came into a hard plastic box that I still have but I remove the label (shame on me, too young…).
Martin

Well, I take advantage of my age and crankiness and lecture others, but the truth is, although working in a gun shop since 1964 and being an active shooter since I was ten (about 1949), i never kept a catalog - free to me and at the store, automatically sent to us in quantity - of any kind until the mid 1970s, and then only ammunition ones. I didn’t start keeping gun catalogs until about ten years after that. Since Remington catalogs are gun catalogs with the ammo in the them, that explains my recent plea for Remington catalogs.

You learn with age, which is a shame, because by then, you’ve already committed crimes against the humanity of cartridge and gun collectors in rebluing collector guns, remodeling beautiful military pieces, shooting mixed lot surplus ammunition without checking the headstamps first, and throwing away every gun magazine and catalog without saving the good articles in them. I have done it all, my friends.

John,
Funny coincidence, this thread is about “Mauser” which is German for “moulting”, like shedding one’s skin or possessions, and you are talking about discarding (moulting) books and stuff.