7.63x25mm Mauser as a NATO PDW cartridge?

I know of NATO regulations for pistol cartridges are 9x19mm Parabellum and .45ACP, but i was thinking becouse the 7.63x25mm Mauser is basically the same as the 7.62x25mm Tokarev(Which is somewhat interchangeable) and is ideal for penetration purposes making it ideal for a PDW. Would this be possible or is it now outed by the FN 5.7mm and H&K 4.7mm PDW rounds?.

Although the 7.63 Mauser is a wonderful design, I think overpenetration is the main issue. Little transfer of energy to it’s target means it will go through it (en 10 of it’s best friends behind it).

So it has the same issues the 9x19 para has, but on a greater scale. The 9x19 at least has enough meat on it to make room for improvements (as most law enforcement organizations chose to do), but I wonder if the same solutions will work effectively on the .30 round?

Although I really like the 7.63 Mauser, 7.65 para and 9x19 para, I still think nothing beats a .45-ish round when it comes to close range self defense.

Submachine guns have come and gone in caliber 7.63 X 25m/m - The most famous being the excellent, if basic, Russian PPSh-41. The problem of the cartridge by the standards of these little PDWs (which I find silly, but that is only my opinion) is that the cartridge is too big and powerful - that is, in one of these miniature SMGs they are making now (miniature in more ways than one), the recoil would be too heavy, and the muzzle-blast severe. Actually, in a normal weight gun the 7.63m/m Mauser round shoots flatter than the 9mm para, and probably has about as good wound ballistics as the 9mm in its FMJ form. Recoil in a full-weight gun is light, although muzzle blast is loud. I had the pleasure of shooting a PPSh-41 in Europe. It was impressive. I liked it best as a very high capacity (71 round) carbine on semi-auto. The only disturbing feature was that the one I shot ejected straight up and the empties came down on my head and a couple went down my shirt collar onto my back - ouch! Hot!

Fun gun, but probably past its time in most people’s opinions. I would rather have the Russian gun than any PDW myself. Better yet, an M3A1 .45.

For what it’s worth, the Germans that I have spoken to are happy with the performance and lethality of their MP-7s and its 4.6x30-mm on the battlefield. One jokingly called it it his “noisy cricket”.
Alas, we are getting away from the cartridge collecting aspect…

Chris.

[quote=“christopherb.”]For what it’s worth, the Germans that I have spoken to are happy with the performance and lethality of their MP-7s and its 4.6x30-mm on the battlefield. One jokingly called it it his “noisy cricket”.
Alas, we are getting away from the cartridge collecting aspect…[/quote]
But interesting, nonetheless. This discussion might be better suited to my forum: forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/

What exactly is meant by a “noisy cricket”? It doesn’t sound impressive…

The 6.5x25 CBJ is another approach to the same problem: it is, in effect, a necked-down Tokarev round. See the photo below from this article on PDWs: quarry.nildram.co.uk/PDWs.htm

From left to right: .30 Carbine, 5.56mm NATO, 6x35 KAC, 5.7mm FN, 4.6mm HK, 5.8x21 Chinese, 6.5x25 CBJ, 9x19 NATO, 9x21 Russian AP, .40 S&W, .45 ACP

The noisy cricket is reference to the movie Men in Black. Will Smith’s character was issued a weapon the size of a palm pistol and was unhappy about it thinking it was weak; upon firing it he found out it was rather decimating.