7.65 (.32) Auto R.M Dummy

Due to my old eyes when I first looked at this I thought it was head stamped R.N. When I photographed it I could see it was probably actually R.M, so I assume it’s German. Any thoughts on to when it was manufactured?

Paul

RHEINISCHE METALLWAREN UND MASCHINENFABRIK AG Dusseldorf ABT SÖMMERDA (RM-S) operated from 1901 to WW1.

After MUNITIONS UND WAFFENFABRIKEN, SÖMMERDA (M&W-S) went bankrupt, on 31 March 1901 it was taken over by the RHEINISCHE METALLWAREN UND MASCHINENFABRIK AG, Dusseldorf (also called RHEINMETALL which was founded in 1889). It was renamed “RHEINISCHE METALLWAREN UND MASCHINENFABRIK AG Dusseldorf ABT SÖMMERDA” (RM-S) and continued to produce sporting ammunition until WW1 and still retained its identity until at least the end of WW1.

RM-S introduced an "RM * S * " hs sometime in the 1901-1908 period - also "R.M * S * " and "R.M. * S * ". However it appears that the “M&W SOEMMERDA” hs of its predecessor was still used after 1901:

1 Like

I can Show you a box label.

Rgds

d1

2 Likes

And to put it into historical perspective, the bankrupt company mentioned by WBD was the former Dreyse rifle factory, originally founded to manufacture the Dreyse needle gun.

1 Like

Thanks to all

Paul

I just ran across this topic. RM-S didn’t stop producing ammunition at the beginning of WWI, although they may have stopped producing commercial cadlibers. I have documented 9mm P08 rounds with the following headstamp dated Dec 1916 through Nov 1918. There is also boxes of round nose 9mm P08 rounds with the commercial headstamp being sold in the US with Dreyse 9mm pistols after WWI. The early ammunition contemporary with the Dreyse pistols was truncated. It is likely that the round nose ammunition was produced no earlier than mid-1916.

Cheers,
Lew