7.65 Argentine / 7.62 x 51 convert

I’m not sure what this is. Based on case length and shoulder position it’s doesn’t appear to be a 7.65 Argentine Mauser.
What do I have?Scan002965%20Argentine

Rim: 11.95 mm
Base:11.68 mm
Shoulder: 10.61 mm
Neck 8.55 mm
Bullet: 7.79 mm
Case length: 50.94 mm
Total Length: 71.00 mm

Thanks,

Paul

7.62x51 FMC headstamp, FAL XX on CN projectile

This should provide some assistance

http://www.cartridgecollector.net/765-x-54-mauser

Regards
Daan
www.cartridgecollector.net

Paul, it looks like an example of a 7.62 x 51 converted from 7,65 x 54 Mauser cases (factory made in Argentina). However, bullet jacket should be CNCS and marked “FAL” and date. Can you confirm the jacket material and the presence of any markings?

Regards,

Fede

Daan,

Thanks for the link. I have a number of 7.65x54 Mausers with Argentine headstamps. They all have 54mm case lengths with shorter necks and higher shoulders. This looks more like a 7.62 NATO but with a more tapered case and a narrrower shoulder.

Paul

Fede,

The bullet is non-magnetic. There does not appear to be any other markings other than the heads stamp shown above. I haven’t pulled the bullet. The bullet held in with a segmented crimp.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for checking, I have documented more than 50 different variant of this cartridge and all of them have marked jackets made of CNCS. Also, they have Mauser cases made as early as 1939 and as late as 1956, all having a very narrow shoulder (conical case).

I have never found an example like this in Argentina, but I guess it could be an undocumented variant. The use of a very strong segmented crimp is typical of Argentine converted cartridges.

Very interesting!

Regards,

Fede

Fede,

Thanks for the information!

Paul

I have 5 of these converted cartridges.

4 have CNCS jackets with FAL stamps.
1 has non-magnetic copper jacket bullet with no FAL stamp.