7.65 Argentine

I need help ID’ing the two on the left. I think the 2nd from left is incendiary with white primer sealant? It has a fatter projectile than the two on the right. First is maybe a proof load?

[quote=“Fede”]Joe, according to Army regulations the primer annulus color should be black for S ball, green for SS ball, and in all special loadings it should match the tip color (black, blue, green, red, white and yellow). The only officially approved exception was the proof loading, where the tip color was either light blue or brown but the primer annulus was always green.

Nevertheless, these rules were not always followed and it is very common to find most loadings with a “generic” reddish primer lacquer that has no meaning (the 7.65x54 sectioned above is one of those cases). Also, many non-standard special loadings did not had colors assigned and are found with reddish lacquer.

After 1971, when the identification color codes for all ammunition were changed, the primer annulus color used for SS ball ammunition -only loading still in production- went through three changes: purple (1972-76), red (1975-81) and green (1981, production ends).

In 1999, when manufacture of this caliber was resumed, the color used was a somewhat translucent reddish lacquer.

Last, in the late 2000’s it again changed to pink.

Regards,

Fede[/quote]

iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11831

Yes…The cartridge on the left is a proof load, made up by Remington-UMC in the WW1 era, using “left-over” UMC cases…
Picture of the box below…

Randy

So is my fat ogive white primer sealant 7.65 just missing the white paint on the projectile?

Small Arms Ammunition Identification Codes, Vol. 1, Color Coded Bullet; E.L. Scranton

Does anyone have a picture of a 1944 FMM white tip incendiary?

If this is any help to you: I have a 7.65mm Argentine tracer with a bright red tip and a bright red annulus. Tom from MN

Tom,

If that is Argentine manufacture pre 1978, that would indicate AP, not tracer.

Joe

jestertoo, the cartridge with F.A.M.M.A.P. // 1944 // headstamp is definetly not incendiary but a standard “Normal S” load with flat base (its “fat” profile is easily recognized when compared to those two “Especial SS” rounds on the right). The black or reddish colour of the original sealant must have been altered by corrosion or something else added on a later date.

The “Química Incendiaria” (Chemical Incendiary) load with white tip is only known to exist with San Lorenzo headstamps from 1956, 1957 and 1958, and also Fray Luis Beltrán from 1964. Bullet jacket is always cupro-nickel clad steel.

Regards,

Fede