7.65 Glisenti?

Awhile back there was considerable discussion & interest on this cartridge. The following is meant to address those interests & is not an advertisement for the seller.

Wards https://www.wardscollectibles.com auction ends Fri. 05/31/13.
The item is #3302.

Description: “H/S None, 7.65 GLISENTI EXPER. FOR MODEL 1906 GLISENTI, SPENT FLT. BRASS PRI., FP TIN RN, 2221. Grade: Good - …”

There is are photos of case head and a profile.

I looked at this and the cartridge shape appears to be correct. I am always afraid of a cartridge with snapped primer but that still has a bullet in it, unless I know the source and that it was legimately inerted for reasons of law, transportation etc., or if the cartridge still has powder in it and therefore likely a misfire.

This is a very easy cartridge to fake.

Regarding its identification, with the known boxes for this round being of a Post-WWI DWM pattern, it is my humble opinion that we are a long way from being certain about the correct identification and proper designation for these cartridges.

See the article from Woodin Laboration, compiled by Peter Petrusic and I, on pages 38 to 41 of the IAA Journal, November/December 2009 Issue #470. I began researching this article to simply explain “7.65 Glisenti Cartridge,” and it ended up being much more a discussion of what we DO NOT know about this cartridge, than what we do.

By the way, although a fairly poor specimen, the cartridge on the web site, if real and it could well be, will be quite a bargain for someone if the bids stay within the stated value.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]I looked at this and the cartridge shape appears to be correct. I am always afraid of a cartridge with snapped primer but that still has a bullet in it, unless I know the source and that it was legimately inerted for reasons of law, transportation etc., or if the cartridge still has powder in it and therefore likely a misfire.

This is a very easy cartridge to fake.

Regarding its identification, with the known boxes for this round being of a Post-WWI DWM pattern, it is my humble opinion that we are a long way from being certain about the correct identification and proper designation for these cartridges.

See the article from Woodin Laboration, compiled by Peter Petrusic and I, on pages 38 to 41 of the IAA Journal, November/December 2009 Issue #470. I began researching this article to simply explain “7.65 Glisenti Cartridge,” and it ended up being much more a discussion of what we DO NOT know about this cartridge, than what we do.

By the way, although a fairly poor specimen, the cartridge on the web site, if real and it could well be, will be quite a bargain for someone if the bids stay within the stated value.[/quote]

John;
THIS cartridge Looks, as it had a rounded primer, which is NOT correct, also it seems to have a neck crimp, which the originals do not have…I had enlarged the photo, as good it was possible with my Picture program and it does not match the same photos I have from my ammo from the O-box…
Without having it really visually inspected by having it “in Hand”, I am not sure, that it is an original…
Greetings
Peter

Peter - My screen is not so good. Since writing my note about this round, I have saved the pictured, photo-shoped it just a little, and enloarged it best I could, and I have my doubts about it also.

As I said, and as I think you know, it is an easy cartridge to fake considering the number of unheadstamped 30 Mauser case type rounds exist.

Well some thought it was real enough,13 bids and the winning bid $110.00.

A shame. Actually, a real 7.65 Glisenti round in nice, loaded condition brings considerably more.