7,65 x 54 Mauser Auxiliary Cartridge

Here are two 22 rimfires one by Schuchardt & Schutte and one by RWS. the only reference I can find refers to them as 5.44mm - 8mm Mauser Auxiliary Cartridge (Hartman Zeilmunition) .22 auxiliary.

The case length is 0.57 inches (between a 22 short and LR). Any idea when they were made and what device they were used in? Any other headstamps out there? What does the box look like?

Thanks,

Paul

Edited subject title

Hello Paul, the cartridge on the left is a 5.44 mm Zielmunition Hartmann “A” or “long version” for shooting distances up to 150 metres and loaded with black powder. It was made for a subcaliber device developed in Argentina in 1909 by Federico Hartmann and used with 7,65 x 54 Mauser Model 1891 carbines and rifles. Several schools also used these devices for shooting exercices. There is also a rarer short version designated “B” and loaded with smokeless powder for distances up to 25 metres.

Another subcaliber device was designed for 9 mm Luger pistols but it only chambers .22 Short ammunition (Hartmann ammunition has a wider and thicker rim).

These steel adapter cartridges are very rare and were made of steel (9 mm & 7.65 x 54) or steel/brass (7.65 x 54) and marked “Schuchardt u. Schütte Berlin Patent Hartmann”. The ammunition was made for Schuchardt & Schütte by RWS and packed in 100 round boxes written in German language. The headstamp logo with three concentric circles was the trademark of “Zielmunition Hartmann”.

Fede,

Thanks for the information. Any idea what time frame these cartridges were manufactured?

Thanks Again,

Paul

Paul, it is hard to establish a solid date for these cartridges. There is a lot of information on S&S and their catalogs (last though to have been published in 1929 and last patent assigned in 1928), but I’m not aware of any of these showing these subcaliber devices. You won’t find these rimfire cartridges in any RWS catalog either.

I’ll need to check the back of some known boxes as these are marked with RWS codes. Not too many of these are known, however.

Schüchardt & Schütte’s Berlin store, 1898: