7.65 x 54 Mauser, Switzerland?

Hello, All…

I have this 7.65 x 54mm Mauser recorded as Patronenfabrick Solothurn, Switzerland…

Correct or not?

Thanks…Randy

Apparently so, though I’ve no idea for whom they were made.

Here is a clip of five, with the same headstamp as shewn in your drawing;

Here’s the base of the charger clip;

Here’s the labeling from the package;

Happy collecting,

Peter

Hi, Peter…

Thanks…If you find extras of what you have, I’d sure be interested, if we could find a way to get them across the pond !!

Added…My cartridge weighs 371.0 grains, which falls about half-way between “normal” Light Ball and Heavy Ball weights…do we know what loading this is?

Randy

Randy & Peter, the only country that I have confirmed to have bought these specific cartridges is Paraguay, and these were later used in the Chaco War (1932-35). In 1937 an Spanish commission visited Paraguay and secretly bought different types of armament and ammunition in 7.65x54 caliber, including Paraguayan Model 1927 Mauser rifles, Vickers-Berthier Model 1928 light machines guns (captured from Bolivia), and these cartridges made by Patronenfabrik Solothurn. For this reason, these have been recovered from Spanish battlefields as well.

With this profile the bullet is undoubtedly a flat base “S” type.

Fede…Did you receive my PM regarding 7.65 Turkish headstamps?

Randy

Fede,

I suspect that you’re correct (as always !!) about the Paraguayan connection, there is a hint from FN files that they were the only country to use this form of charger, but only post-1928.

Also, Ball in “Mauser Military Rifles of the World” 4th Edition, page 266 has this to say;

PARAGUAYAN MODEL 1927 RIFLE;

Made in Oviedo, Spain at the Fabrica Nacional de Armas, the Model 1927 Rifle (Fusil Modelo 1927) is very similar to the Gew.98, with the exception of the tangent rear sight and a curved extension on the bolt stop to hold the clip in position while loading the magazine (this allows use of both old and new style clips).

Quoted verbatim, but italics mine.

Happy collecting,

Peter

Note that the “curved extension on the bolt stop” is also found on the Argentine and Peruvian M1909 rifles. The reference to “old and new style clips” may refer to the original 1889 clip (which had no stop lugs) originally employed with the 1889 Belgian, 1890 Turkish, and 1891 Argentine (and other) rifles, as well as the later clip with the close-set stop lugs which will work either with the rifles of the 1889-91 pattern as well as those with the revised bolt stop. Jack