7.65mm RA 17 Dummy

I did a search of the database for my collection looking for a RA 17 Dummy that Ray has posted on another thread to see if I had one and this one popped up.

I have it identified as a 7.65x53mm Dummy M1889 but I don

I was just informed via e-mail that this cartridge does not have a wooden spacer inside. It is sawdust or some similar material. I banged it on my desk and sure enough small particles of something came out. Looking in the very small holes it looks like a solid piece of wood but a needle penetrates whatever it is very easily.

Hi Phil
When I bought mine I was told that it was made by Raufoss of Norway
Carolyn

Carolyn
Could well be. A friend says he has seen a box of these rounds and is going to check and see what the box says.

Although it is not conclusive proof that these cartridges were made by the same outfit, compare the size of the primer and case holes. I think until I see some documented proof otherwise, I am going to continue to call the 7.65mm a Remington made item. It sure won’t be the first time I was wrong!!

Phil,
I have six other Remington dummies exactly like the R A 17 7.65 round in my collection. The only difference is the “REM-UMC” on them.

Phil,
I have six other Remington dummies exactly like the R A 17 7.65 round in my collection. The only difference is the “REM-UMC” on them.

I have the identical RA17 dummy, but on Saturday I picked up another Remington 7.65mm dummy.

This has a fluted case and bullet, the bullet is hollow with a hole in the nose and the headstamp is “REM-UMC 7.65m/m”.

Is this a WWI contract for Belgium or is it for one of the south American countries?

I will post picture later when I am back home with my scanner.

Regards
TonyE

TonyE

I really don’t know. My notes say it was a WWI Belgian contract but I don’t recall where I got that info from if you are referring to the one I Posted first. If you are referring to the REM-UMC headstamp I still don’t know!!

A friend found the box with these RA 17 rounds. Unfortunately he can