7.7 jap rimless "white"

HELP…from searching old threads…it would appear that inventory-ing Japanese 7.7 ammo can drive a collector to drink.

(the Forum “search feature” can about do the same, as I did my best to search before surrendering to ask for help)

basic question…I think I have two 7.7 rimless with very plainly cased mouth sealed white.

(I say “plainly” as some of the case mouth colors (purple vs black) (red vs pink) can push you toward the same bottle !

What do I have?..yes…I think explosive as they have the classic 1/8" blunt tip of the purple semi rimmed

PS…determining semi rimmed ?..is it best to lay your straight edge along the case ?..I assume there is only a tiny off set…yes ? (and rimless “0” off set with a straight edge)

(please don’t confuse me any further with the gun types !)

I think at the end of the day…I am a lot more comfortable IDing good ol 7.62 x 51 !!!

Pepper

(one hand on the keyboard…one on the "bottle " !!!)

PS…any chance these are not 7.7. and are a 8 m/m round ?? (you can see i am in over my head !)…my mic say 8.2 and 8.25mm…HELP !

I believe that Japan was also provided with examples of the German MG81, in 8mm, which they copied for aircraft use, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they also produced their explosive round in 8mm. As far as your 7.7 rounds go, here’s a scan of WE Inc.'s “2nd World War Japanese Combat Weapons”, which I hope is of some help.

If it helps, there was a Jap 7.92 HE round in Pete de Couxs last auction.
Lot 437. There might be a photo there to compare, I cant remember.
All I know is I won it :)

[quote=“Pepper”]HELP…from searching old threads…it would appear that inventory-ing Japanese 7.7 ammo can drive a collector to drink.

(the Forum “search feature” can about do the same, as I did my best to search before surrendering to ask for help)

basic question…I think I have two 7.7 rimless with very plainly cased mouth sealed white.

(I say “plainly” as some of the case mouth colors (purple vs black) (red vs pink) can push you toward the same bottle !

What do I have?..yes…I think explosive as they have the classic 1/8" blunt tip of the purple semi rimmed

PS…determining semi rimmed ?..is it best to lay your straight edge along the case ?..I assume there is only a tiny off set…yes ? (and rimless “0” off set with a straight edge)

(please don’t confuse me any further with the gun types !)

I think at the end of the day…I am a lot more comfortable IDing good ol 7.62 x 51 !!!

Pepper

(one hand on the keyboard…one on the "bottle " !!!)

PS…any chance these are not 7.7. and are a 8 m/m round ?? (you can see i am in over my head !)…my mic say 8.2 and 8.25mm…HELP ![/quote]

Pepper, your first post script is correct. That is the way to determine semi-rimless from rimless. M. Rea

Pepper

Here are some pictures and dimensions of a Japanese 7.9x57mm Explosive round that might help you.

Bullet .324 in. (GM jacket - non-magnetic)
Rim .470 in.
Base (at extractor groove) .468 in.
Case 2.233 in.
Overall 3.142 in.
Weight 393.8 grains

A straight edge held against the case leaves just a very tiny gap at the rim.

photo is dead on (and work seperates me from the round to measure it at home)…but I think it safe to say “do not take a hacksaw to it”

PS…in case you are wondering…I take a hacksaw to nothing resembling anything from Japan !! (in fact…or most anything else…I leave the “hacking” to the experts !!)

thanks

I will put the bottle away until I finish my Japanese inventory…but it has about driven me to drink !

Phil,

I found one of these in my collection also, same as in the pic. Are any of these rounds head stamped?

Steve

Steve
I have only seen (or heard of) 1 Japanese 7.9x57mm cartridge with a headstamp. It is a Navy (large primer) Ball type. The headstsamp is

Thanks Phil!