7,9 fnm

Today I found this old 7,9mm box , made by FNM (Portugal)and as surplus ammo sold in Germany

headstamp FNM 70-25

Now, that’s a correct FNM 7.9 cartridge box. Very typical. Note the term “bala normal” instead of “bala ordinaria.” Each would be correct in Spanish, but in Spanish, you see, for ordinary ball ammunition, the terms “bala ordinaria” or "bala com

Is “70” the date and “25” the lot number? I have a few of these rounds with similar headstamps.

Falcon - yes, 70 is the date. The FNM initials are a post-war abbreviation, so any rounds you see with that factory set of intials will be a post-war date.
That should help you decide which is the date and which is the lot number.

I thought that might be it. One of the numbers is “71-17”, so obviously it is lot 17 of 1971.

FNM 7.9mm ammo from this time frame came packed in 90 round (without chargers) and 80 round (with chargers) boxes.

I think this 80 round box is interesting because the rounds are packed in both the 2-lug and 3-lug type chargers.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]Now, that’s a correct FNM 7.9 cartridge box. Very typical. Note the term “bala normal” instead of “bala ordinaria.” Each would be correct in Spanish, but in Spanish, you see, for ordinary ball ammunition, the terms “bala ordinaria” or "bala com

Phil

Hans - the label on this thread is Portuguese, as I said immediately. The other label is simply not Portuguese. Not a matter of dialect. Most officially printed Spanish-language cartridge labels are in good, “Spanish Academy” Spanish, even in the new world. Not always I suppose, and there are different usages country to country. However, the label I said was Spanish even bears a Spanish trademark. The cartridge (fired casee) shown with it never was original to that box, whether relabled by a non-Spanish seller or not. Someone may have used boxes to repack the ammunition, but that is another story, and not of much interest. That doesn’t imply, by the way, that the other thread wasn’t interesting - I found the overlabel very interesting. Its just that the headstamp shown was irrelevant.

Further, I do not know of any period in which the factory at Chelas, Portugal, or any other of the locations, unsed the name shown on the box,

"By the way, again, the box I referred to as not being Portuguese was on the other thread. The term “Bala Normal” is quite common in Portuguese. I was not intimating it wasn’t. I was trying to point out another difference from the wording on the label shown on the other thread.

Sorry, it simply is not, in my opinion, a Portuguese box.

JJE

The 2-lug and 3-lug chargers in the box are virtually identical in shape and dimensions. About the only noticeable difference is the the 3-lug type are darker (maybe a light phosphate finish?) and the springs are blued. They could very well have been made by the same maker.

I have no idea why they used both types with their 7.9mm ammunition.