7.9 German experimental primers

On the left tinned steel on the right phosphated steel.

Do you have any documentations about this “expirimental” primer.
It looks to me, your primer is a little

I have a box that contains these headstamps. The primers range from bright steel to dark grey dull steel. The label says they are the normal 30/40 primers.

Some very fine boxes.

I used to think that as well before I got this lot. The attached photo shows the difference. I ran this past my friend who has been in the metal coating business for 35+ years. He says the one on the left is tinned steel and the one on the right is phosphated steel. The proof is that the finish is uniformly UNDER the paint. The steel would not oxidize the same under the paint as not. There are lots of steel primers with paint covering them as an antirust seal. When these oxidize the paint flakes off. Germany used a variety of coatings on their steel primers to keep them from rusting.

When they went with the 30/40 steel primer cup they must have tried everything. The paint certainly didn’t work out too well. Kent says that these cups are galvanized steel. My experience with galvanized steel is that it oxidizes in white or red. We always had the galvanized steel tubs at home (I carried many of them full of ashes from the furnace and,of course, bobbed for apples in them too). The galvanized finish oxidized white and as the metal beneath started to rust the red typical of ferrous metal would come out. I never saw a galvanized steel product oxidize dark grey. I have seen the German steel primers rust but it is never uniform.It is always in irregular bits and spots as the finish ( whatever it is) fails.

I would like to have some one with a large 7.9 lot number collection to run a magnet over the primers in the brass case ammo of the period and see if there are not brass and possibly copper plated steel primers as well

These boxes do not say anything about the unusual crimp either.

A case of these boxes showed up in the States and have been widely distributed. I have seen many of the boxes and suspect that this was a rejected lot. Within the same box there are manufacturing differences. Some with heavy double neck crimp and some with none in the same lot number and the same box. Of couse the great variation in primers is obvious AND one box had a cartridge with the primer seated 1/2 sideways. I have never seen this in the hundreds of 7.9 German boxes which I have opened in 50 years. I will put up a photo later.

These were made by a factory which used slave labor which was mostly Dutch and some French.