7.9 Kurz packaging

I thought that this was an interesting packet. Why an English re-pack label? Mixed headstamps in the box.

I’m guessing it has something to do with the FN trials which the British tried out in the late 1940’s for the FN “Universal carbine” rifle? There were also some Aberdeen trials in 1950 for various “assault” type auto-rifle calibers as this website describes: (near the third photo down): http://www.cruffler.com/historic-april01.html The U.S. and UK may have had some re-labeled boxes of 7.92 kurz for this testing? Particularly with the FN rifle?

Not sure I would describe the label as all in English. The only English is “Made in Germany.” This ammo was obviously going to be exported, and by 1950, English was pretty much the “Universal Language” if there ever was such a thing. Even Walther pistols, for example, were marked “Made in Germany” or “Germany” to comply with the many laws requiring country of origin on export/import goods, in English, not German, regardless of which country they were going to. You see the “Made in XXXXX” label in English more on goods sold internationally than you do in other languages, although not exclusively, admittedly. Nothing else on that label is necessarily English, as it is numerical, German (Kurz) or the same in German as it is in English (Feb. and m/m).

The use of a comma to indicate the decimal would not have been conventional useage in any English-speaking country in 1950 I believe. The labelling probably was done in continental Europe. JG

The “7,92mm” is a typical combined European (comma)layout, but the use of 7,92 is either Czech or British ( all others used "7,9"mm).

The Use of “Made in Germany” is pretty generic for most of the Western World, as this is obviously a repack or at least a check and relabel.

I would say that any FN-used ammo would be marked “Fabrique en Allemagne” and of course a Czech use box would be marked in Czech language ( have seen both types before.)

But the date of Inspection/repack/relabel as 1950, obviously puts it well into the late testing programs for the 7,9K calibre FN rifle; and the Type Font of the “FEB 1950” looks very “British” as is found on British ammo packets.

This has become a Forensic Typewriting Exercise…
any further input…

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

A couple of thoughts about this.

I would say that 1950 is too late for the FN 7.9K carbine, as by that date both Britain and FN were committed to the .280/30 (7mm to FN) for their new weapons.

Secondly, this was a military program so why would they bother to put “Made in Germany” on the re-pack? There was plenty of original pack Kurz in store without using re-packs. This packet looks like it was meant for commercial sale. It is more likely to have been done for Sam Cummings than FN.

Also, I disagree that the “FEB 50” looks like British military. We tend to use a date DD.MM.YY on British military packets, although Kynoch do use that type of date sometimes.

Regards
TonyE