7,9 l.S. in Prideaux Vickers aircraft type links

I have three 7,9 German l.S. in Prideaux Vickers aircraft type links that seem to be original by fit and patina. I am not aware of the configuration of such ammo in these links. There are no visible markings on the links under 10X magnification.

Joe

Joe,

See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13548, the last 2 photos in this discussion are of 7.65mm Mauser cartridges in links very similar to the links you show.

Brian

Brian, yes they look similar with some slight differences as most Prideaux links do. There was 30-06 made in England for US vickers air craft guns, Feench 11mm, .45 Gardner Gatling brass and steel. Also 7x57, 8mm Siamese and so forth. My point is as it was, I have never seen them for 7.9x57 Mauser. The rounds in links that I have pictured fit perfectly and seem original, but I am looking for conformation.

Joe

We may wait for JFL to clear this one up.
So far I think somebody stuffed things together as so often with belts and links.

The corners of the connecting tabs are more square than usual and they fit 7,9 neck and body perfectly. When I initially looked at them they gave me a sense of originality, but I have just never heard of 7,9 Prideaux Vickers aircraft type disintegrating links.

Hello,

this is a piece of belt for Czechs mod. 30 aircraft Maxim in caliber 7.92x57.
During WW2 these weapons were reused by the Germans for ground use, mostly for anti-aircraft duty.

The pre-WW2 Czechs links are uncoated plain steel with a typical white metal outlook. Wartime production is characterized by the matt grey-green phosphate finish as also seen on MG34/42 50-round belts.

Accordingly your belt is wartime production (nice piece by the way ! )

Here is a Czechs pre-WW2 production :

Here is the weapon in use by the Germans :

Cheers,

JFL

Hello,

just to add that I have published an article about this belt and corresponding belt-loading machine in the US magazine “Small Arms Review”, issue of December 2007.

Old issues of that magazine can also be found online (but I guess you must be registered to read full articles) :

smallarmsoftheworld.com

Cheers,

JFL

Jean, thanks for the information and nice pictures. The links you post look very similar. Maybe it is just the picture but they seem to be flattened, not round? I will have to go dig through my Small Arms Reviews in the garage and see if I have that issue.

Joe

Small Arms Review, I have 2001 - 2006 and then 2010 - 2013. I remember I stopped for about 3 years. Cut down on expenses for a while. Oh well.

What was the guns official designation, as I am trying to find some information on it and cannot.

Joe

Hello,

the German WW2 designation for that weapon is MG 30 (t).

You can find information in Dolf Goldsmith’s "Devil’s Paintbrush " book on Maxims.

Cheers,

JFL

JFL,

I INTERNET searched under those terms and found good information and pictures similar to the one you posted, thanks. Plenty of pictures with linked ammo attached to MG 30 (t) that looks to be the metal links in discussion.

Dolf Goldsmith’s "Devil’s Paintbrush " sounds to be something I should invest in.

Joe

To add my 2 cents: the dark, “Bonderized” links first shown were made under German occupation. Not to argue too strongly with JFL, but AFAIK, the “silver,” or bare metal ones probably are unfinished examples of the German version also (unless actually plated – mine don’t seem to be).

As far as I have been able to tell, the pre-war Czech version(s) are blued and do not have the tapered webs of the German version. The German design saves a little weight with each link, and, of course, a little steel. If the “square” blued 7,9 links aren’t for the vz 30, perhaps JFL knows what they are for? They are VERY well made.

Getting a copy of “The Devil’s Paintbrush” will be difficult and costly – good luck!

Just ordered “The Devil’s Paintbrush” 2002 edition from the publisher for $79.95 including shipping. Not to bad.

Hello Ted,

pre-WW2 Czechs-made links are bare steel devoid of any surface coatings. Complete and loaded belts with such bare links are regularly recovered by EOD personnel in the region of the Atlantic Wall in France (the mod. 30 Czech weapon was commonly used as anti-aircraft by the Germans on the Atlantic wall).

The first mod. 30 Czech Maxim was intended for aircraft fixed mount. Therefore, the first links for that configuration was based on the original WW1 Prideaux design with square corners and permitting almost no fanwise and helicoidal flexibility. These first links are bare steel.

1st model of Czechs links for fixed mounted Maxim mod. 30 :

When the weapon was adapted for aircraft flexible turret mount, it was required that a new link be designed in order to increase both fanwise and helicoidal flexibility. Therefore the links were modified by increasing the internal diameter of the single loop (from 11 to 12mm) and chamfering the top and bottom connecting wings (b).

Here is the comparison of 1st model (left) and 2nd model (right) :

Here is the illustration of the fanwise flexibility of the 2nd model of links :

I have only observed the second model of link bonderized as produced during WW2.

I would be very interested to see pictures of the blued links that you identify as Czechs pre-WW2 production.

Cheers,

JFL