7.9 x 33 bullet jacket finish

I have a 7.9 short headstamped aux St [dash] 10 45 with a bullet that has a gritty dark gray finish. One list I have calls for a cupro-nickel jacket for this one, but this isn’t a CNCS jacket. What gives? Jack

How does this finish compare to the zinc and phosphate finishes on known 7,9x57mm jackets of the same era? I’ve seen some zinc plated jackets that were very worn, revealing a parkerized or phosphate appearing underlayer. Could the list be in error and the CNCS jacket actually be a zinc plated one, with yours being a worn example?

Pic?

AKMS

AKMS: I’m answering without my notes at hand (never a great idea), but this jacket does look a lot like my 7.9 m/m SmE loaded into an eej case of 43 manufacture. My impression is that these zinc-coated jackets (if that’s what they are) oxidize fairly rapidly and change appearance over time. I’m sure the eej SmE bullet is now darker than it was years ago (and that particular round was a gift from a family friend who brought it back from Europe). It is possible that the list of 7.9 x 33 cartridges having CNCS jackets I saw is actually a combination of true CNCS rounds (and there are some) along with these parkerized or galvanized versions. Jack

As already pointed out, some zinc coated bullets in good condition can easily be mistaken as a CNCS bullet at first glance. Here are two 7.9x57 S.m.E. rounds with the same case lot, bullet type and finish, one is nice and fresh looking and the other has a more weathered appearance to it.

Phil: Yes, the bullet in the lower cartridge resembles the bullet in the 7.9 short. Here in the humidity belt anything with a tendency to oxidation just loves to tarnish or, like zinc, get furry. Thanks, Jack

I got out my notes and found that when I pulled the bullet from the eej 43 7.9 m/m SmE I discovered a two-tone jacket: the portion forward of the case mouth was gray and rough, the cylindrical middle portion that had been in the neck of the case looked like cupro-nickel, and the boattail resembled the front portion. So this round left the factory with a bullet looking all silvery and neat. Jack

The bullet/cartridges leaves the plant in new condition.

Often the bullet inside the case gets some other color by a chemical reaction of the power.

What happens to the bullet I don’t have to explain to ammo collectors if you touch it with your fingers.

Btw, a picture of the aux –St 10 45 could be very helpful.

Dutch: I can’t post a picture of the cartridge but will compare it carefully with an aux 44 round & if I see anything (other than jacket color) different will comment. Jack

Dutch: I looked carefully at the aux -St 10 45 marked 7.9 x 33, and the only thing that caught my eye was the manufacturer’s code “aux,” which was in a larger typeface than the 44-date case by aux in my collection. Jack