7,9 x 57mm FN 1954 black tip, primer and neck seal

I have this round bought off a Euro web auction. Projectile is silver colored like CN, also magnetic with a lead base and the raised letters DM on the base. Weight of projectile is 154 grains. The case is tinned brass. There was no powder as it had been pulled and advertised as such. Not saying how it was advertized as I do not want to influence opinions. Primer had not been struck, just looks that way from the camera angle and way the dark purple/black dye was applied.

Joe

My first thought is that it’s seems like a rather old bullet for such a relatively new case.

“Put-together” forced by Idiotic European and British Cartridge Laws… Bullet is a WW I or 1920s DM (DWM) “S” (154grn) projie, fitted to an FN1954 case, and “painted” to resemble a “AP” or similar.

Kindly Put: FAKE

Doc AV

[quote=“DocAV”]“Put-together” forced by Idiotic European and British Cartridge Laws… Bullet is a WW I or 1920s DM (DWM) “S” (154grn) projie, fitted to an FN1954 case, and “painted” to resemble a “AP” or similar.

Kindly Put: FAKE

Doc AV[/quote]

I concur. -Ger

Yes, my summarization also.

I had a good friend buy it for me off eGun GmbH Deutschland for 25.50 EUR. He advised he had no knowledge of such rounds, but new I might have interest as he often graciously alerts me to interesting items. I asked Fuller first week in October 2015 in one of our by weekly talks and he had no knowledge of such a round, that should have been a clue to save $35. The seller was “Hexiemaus”. Advertized it as an aluminum case snipper round. Well… live and learn.

I have been amassing cartridges since 1976, but only really learning about them in the last few years as I am sorting them. Been receiving the IAA journal since 1992, but I obviously have not learned much.

What do you feel the FN 54 tinned brass case was originally? Proof round? Case is two flash hole berdan by the way.

Joe

Not with the all Black primer, but with black p.a., it exist as a regular round. Amour -piercing tracer is what the box label say. If this round show Here is regular, I don’ t know. Jan.

The black looks like it was done with a marking pen?

JAN,
The round you speak of has a tinned brass case?

Joe

This is the round AP-T

And this is your box

The tinned/nickeled case could be from a “Tool/Dummy”-cartridge, but mostly they have a strong case-mouth crimp. The black primer-colour is definatly fake.
Picture shows 5 different 7,92x57 FN54 cartridges, “tool/dummy”-cartridge on the far right.

greetz
btw: nice box ximo!

As far I remember me FN used only tinned Brass cases for dummy, inert cartridges, with one exeption, 7,65x54 short range cartridges, these they are most of the time in tinned Brass cases. Jan.

I examined the neck very carefully and it had a heavy segmented crimp at one time that has been ironed out smooth. 100% FAKE/FANTASY round! Round was most likely at one time the “tool/dummy” round Kurt pictures.

This is the problem of buying from the web.

Thanks very much everyone.

Joe

Seems like a lot of work for 25 euros! Some people amaze me.

Cheers,
Lew