7,92 id

Gentleman. Obviously I need to expand my library. I need help with this headstamp, I have no idea where to begin. I assume Israeli because of the Star of David but something tells me Yugoslav…

image image

Henry, this is Czecholsovakia and was made by S&B. The “O” is the factory symbol here.

Ironically, a lot of this Czechoslovakian ammunition did end up in Israel.

John Moss

Thanks Alex, much appreciated as always! John, could this be one of those that you speak of or is that star a Czech symbol?

HF - it is impossible to tell if that round was one from Israel, but much of the surplus ammunition of this caliber and type of headstamp found in America was imported from Israel. However, the star on the headstamp has nothing to do with Israel:

Headstamp figures:

O - Factory designator, in this instance Sellier & Bellot

Curved dash - Indicates a single flash-hole Berdan primer system

Star - Indicates the case is brass. I don’t know if they differentiated between 67% and 72% on headstamps, and I am not sure which this is. A steel case would be marked “+”

11 - hard to read, but I think that is the number following the star. Month of manufacture

50 - year of manufacture (1950)

This follows the same pattern used by the Germans on 7.9 x 57 mm ammunition (and other small arms calibers) from shortly after WWI until 1945, although slightly simplified.

The single flash-hole, by the way, is one off-center hole next to the anvil in the primer pocket, rather than one on each side. This was a measure to reduce drill breakage, I believer. If the dash is absent from the headstamp, it would indicate the case has two flash-holes. The single flash-hole is NOT the type that goes thru the center of the integral anvil.

I typed the * figure found on the keyboard above the numeral 8, but for some unknown reason, the forum converted it to a list dot followed by a tiny circle, which is not what I typed. Edited to clarify that.

John Moss

Roger that John. I was aware of what the arc meant with regards to the primer, but that’s about all I could ascertain from this headstamp, until my library grows that is… thanks again for all the education here, learning a lot quickly!!!

All of my more frequent friends already answered but as noted Czechoslovakian 1950. The O is the maker code. I don’t have it handy but the ammo was I’m assuming somewhat clandestine, MAy have been intended for Israel to begin with and other nations that were fighting and needed assistance. Lot of Czechoslovak arms and ammo ended up in middle east and elsewhere. And ex WW2 german stuff as well. In fact the early Israeli Airforce used Czech assembled Bf 109 fighter aircraft.

In my view there is nothing particularly clandestine. It is simply the code system generally used for all military production in Czechoslovakia, before they switched to letter codes like aym, bxn and so on.

And of course the ammunition was not necessarily intended for Israel as the Czech armed forces used that caliber also. Jack

Actually Czech manufactured, not just assembled. And the motors were apparently the same as those mounted on HE111s. From all I’ve read, it was not a “match made in heaven”.