7,92 Label

Can anyone tell me how a " Platz - Patr. - Gerät 34 " ( blank cartridge devise 34 ) was used.
It`s the first time to see this label on a 7,9 mauser box.
There is no other label on this box so I presume that this box was filled with blanks.

451kr.

Platz Patrone Gerat 34 were for a device which replicated MG fire in training areas. They were a direct Blowback “Tube gun” which could be remotely fired ( Electric or cable), to produce the effect of an MG in a Bunker or trenchline which would then come under Live Fire and Grenade attack by Troops in training.

The Label say “Nur fur”…“ONLY FOR” Gerat 34 and MG use.
SO a special load specifically for these guns.

The DDR (East Germany) developed the Idea of the Gerat 34 into remote controlled Live-firing Guns to cover “The Wall” in the 1961-1989 period.

Regards,
Doc AV

[quote=“DocAV”]Platz Patrone Gerat 34 were for a device which replicated MG fire in training areas. They were a direct Blowback “Tube gun” which could be remotely fired ( Electric or cable), to produce the effect of an MG in a Bunker or trenchline which would then come under Live Fire and Grenade attack by Troops in training.

The Label say “Nur fur”…“ONLY FOR” Gerat 34 and MG use.
SO a special load specifically for these guns.

The DDR (East Germany) developed the Idea of the Gerat 34 into remote controlled Live-firing Guns to cover “The Wall” in the 1961-1989 period.

Regards,
Doc AV[/quote]

DocAv, I am sorry, but what you described is the ZF 38 not the 34.

Rgds
Dutch

I seem to have read somewhere that the Gerät 34 was a blank-firing barrel/bolt assembly used in the MG34. Something similar is still available for reenactors.
The Geräte 38 and 42 were used quite a bit after the occupation on danish training grounds but after 1962 rebuilt to fire 7,62 NATO blanks.

What does the abbreviation “bzw.” stand for in German, and what does that translate to in English?

Is the “Gerät 34” the same item as the “Ruckstossverstärker 34 §,” which was a muzzle adaptor for blank-firing use; a constrictor actually? It consisted of three parts and is pictured on Page 325 of the book “MG34-MG42 German Universal Machinguns,” by Folke Myrvang. There is no “Gerät 34” shown in the book, but since “Gerät” simply means “apparatus,” a more general term, I thought there might be a chance they are the same blank-firing device.

[quote=“JohnMoss”]What does the abbreviation “bzw.” stand for in German, and what does that translate to in English?[/quote]Beziehungsweise = Respectively.
Soren

eta: spelling

John, see page 323/324 for a description of the “platzpatronengerat” It is the two piece barrel unit that replaced the “ruck/34” unit. They were used in both the MG34 and MG42. Mine works quite well. JH

Jim - I read that when I was looking up the “34” version. The full barrel seems, from the text, to date
from 1938. It would be good if someone who really knows about these things could do a quick explanation of
of them. There was mention of a “42” model of some sort on this thread too, but with no explanation of what it is or what model it is. Perhaps it is the same as the “38” model but just for an MG 42. I don’t know. Of course, the Zielfeuergerät is a separate “weapon” and I am clear on that. I had some information on that device in my fields, but can’t find it. I have so much out of my files right now, with no room to even put them back, that the whole system has become almost useless to me.

In the context of this label the word “beziehungsweise” would mean something along the lines of “in other words” or “that is to say” or maybe just “or”. Jack

Will try to explain it with an example.

You can fire this round in a M16 or an M14.

This word means in German „Beziehungsweise“

Rgds
Dutch

[quote=“mausernut”][quote=“JohnMoss”]What does the abbreviation “bzw.” stand for in German, and what does that translate to in English?[/quote]Beziehungsweise = Respectively.
Soren

eta: spelling[/quote]

A report on the Zielfeuergerät 38 as a trip wire weapon:

May someone expand on how Zf.Ger.38 is used as a “range-finding and adjustment device”? Ziel-feuer-gerat = target-shooting-device, so someone wanted to hit the bull’s eye. How is a full auto stationary device helpful, wouldn’t it shake and move from the original direction?