7.92 mm cartridge

Good evening,

I have what I think are German cartridges. The HS reads "a.u.x, St+, 1, 44 (aux = Polte Armaturen und Maschinenfabrik A.G. St+ = Strengthened steel case, 1 = Lot Number, 44 = 1942). There are a few cartridges that say 43 in the string. I’m curious if someone can tell what mechanism was used to fire the bullets. Are they collectible?

Thank-you,
Conrad

They are in Gurt 34/42, the standard non-disintegrating link belt (50rds capacity) used in the
MG34 and MG42 machineguns from 1934 to 1945.
The Gurt 34 could also be used in a MG08/15/34, with an altered feedblock to accept either the Gurt 08, ( cotton with brass tabs, WWI and Wiemar Republik) or the Gurt 34…this Secondary MG was used in Poland, 1939, Holland, Belgium & Netherlands, Denmark & Norway, and finally France.(1940).
After that the MG08/15/34 was relegated to the railways, (anti aircraft and anti partizan); concentration camps, POW camps, and other lesser use situations, and finally the Atlantic Wall and the Volksturm.( 1944-45
Doc AV

1 Like

Conrad,

from what I see those seem all standard S.m.E., Sitzgeschoß mit Eisenkern, standard ball cartridges.

aux stands for Polte Armaturenfabrik of Magdeburg as case manufacturer.

43 and 44 are the years of case manufacture, the other numbers give their case manufacture lots. If my memory serves me well: a case lot consisted of 3 million cases.

St+ stands for improved steel case. Not sure if this includes a change in the steel analysis, but definitely it stands for thinner! case walls in the area above the case head to improve case expansion flexibility during firing.

Who actually loaded the cases can only be taken from the packing label the cartridges came in.

Collectable items, actually there are many of those around…

Thank you for the insight Hans.

Na pewno! Nie ma za co.