7.92 x 33 Kurz ammunition in Argentina in early 1945?

In a recent "Shotgun News "article on the PTR44 Peter Kokalis wrote this :

German submarines landing new MP 44 guns and ammunition in Argentina in early 1945 .

I found this a very strange comment -is there any truth to all this ?

Or just another weird internet story ?

Glenn

I will certainly believe stories like this if someone shows me a document to prove them. Everything is possible.

I don’t know anything about that story. Kokalis usually checks his facts out when he writes something, unlike many of the popular gun press authors.

However, there is, of course, Argentine 7.62 x 33 ammunition, but later than the end of the war.
I have a specimebn, well known among collectors of this caliber, headstamped =FMC “SL”= 1953.
Since it was probably made with a 7.65 Mauser bunter, or perhaps even case. I am not sure the date on the headstamp is the true date of manufacture, but it definitely is a factory specimen, not the work of a reloader or the like. It xists in many collections with this date. There may be others but I am aware of only this particular variation. I never did more with the Kurzpatrone than pick up an occasional specimen.

It is very likely that Germany did have “submarine contacts” with Argentina in early 1945 ( even during the whole war). Many high ranking Nazis were plkanning their “bolt-hole” in case of disaster ( which many did use fromlate 1945 to the early 1950s;as to the MP/Stg44s and ammo, also very likely. The Argentine Army at the time (late 30s, early 1940s, was, Image wise, the mirror of the Wehrmacht ( uniforms, Firearms design, Tactics, etc.)

The Argentine Ordnance organisation began making a prototype of the MP44 design very early after the war — samples (finished) and blanked out steel stampings are in a special display at the Museo de La Nacion. Plaza San Martin, Buenos Aires.

Large quantities of Ammo (7,9x33) was also made for tests etc. But changes in Latin American Politics (heavy influence of the USA) led to Argentina adopting the 7,62 Nato calibre FN-FAL in the early 1950s, after trying out a 7,65mm calibre FN 49 Semi- Auto for several years.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.