7.92 x 57 Besa dummy

I am familiar with the British dummies with three flutes running lengthwise in the sides of the cases, but had not seen one with three cannelures like this one. I would not expect a dummy to have a wood bullet. The headstamp (K5 43 GIIZ) indicates the case was originally intended for a tracer. Does the addition of the large ‘O’ possibly indicate that this is a reused case or a rejected case?

These are Danish reloads and not British dummies.

Regards
TonyE

Aha! I should have been paying more attention to the overstamp rather than the original headstamp.Thanks.

There was an earlier thread about these Danish dummies. The “O” is found on blanks, with plain wood bullets also. For some reason, on the dummies, in brass case, the British headstamps, while not the only ones used, are predominant. In the blanks, you can find just about any European headstamp from the first half of the 30th Century. I have one done on an unheadstamped case, so the entire headstamp is “O” and that one was my favorite - pure Danish headstamp.

The dummies were also made on German WWII Steel cases, but have never seen a Danish blank on steel cases.

This dummy is a danish reload.

After WWII, the Danes did use German K98 rifles ,and also BESA mgs in tanks they had obtain to reorganze their armed forces, for a couple of years. A good quantity of ex-German cases were at hand, and they reloaded them as natural wood bulleted blanks (also ex-British ones).
Same case were also reworked as dummies, with three ID rings engraved around lower part of the case.

Both reloads were done by A/S/ Dansk Ammunitionsfabrik, in Otterup, this facility using a circular mark overprinted on the headstamp, as seen on your picture.

I do not know the exact designation of this dummy, but the blank variation was called 7,92 mm lospatron m.1947, which indicates that this ammo was still in use more than two years after the end of WW II. Maybe one of our Scandinavian member could add something, or correct my post?

(sorry, in the word “lospatron”, the o has an oblique slash, for “oe” spelling, but I do not have this danish letter available here)

Cheers!

Philippe