7,92 x 57 Mauser headstamps

Above 3 pictures:

Can anybody tell me the manufacturer of the headstamp from 1918?

383%20hs%202
383%20hs%201

And the reason of the 3 dots?

Fourth picture:
Did the factory P25 (Poltie) use old, partly made quartered headstamps?

28%20misstamp

Grtz
Jaco

1 Like

The PMF logo is for Pulver- und Munitionsfabrik, located at Dachau. Being liquidated after WW1, its site was later used by the Nazis for the concentration camp.
P25 is not Polte, but Metallwarenfabrik Treuenbrietzen, one of the factories erected for the secret manufacture of rifle ammunition, illegal under the Versailles Treaty. Treuenbrietzen is south of Berlin and the factory was in a wooded area north of Treuenbrietzen, called Sebaldushof after the farm that orginally was there. Using the P before the secret factory number like this had the very purpose of being able to say “its Polte”.

Sorry for being pedantic, but in Germany this caliber was called 7.9 mm from its inception 1888 through 1945. The designation 7.92 mm is of Czechoslovak origin, created after WW1, never used in Germany. The 7.9 mm cartridge as well as its rifle Gewehr 88 were developed in the Prussian state arsenal system and Mauser had nothing to do with it, apart from making many rifles in 7.9 mm after 1898.

Yes, the"P" series of code numbers in the1920s and early 1930s were simply Patronenfabrik ##.
The fact that ignorant Allied controllers considered them a subset of the Polte concern, only goes to show how naive the whole Versailles arms control rules and burocrats were.

Doc AV

Phil Butler indicated that the radial lines seen in the P25 example indicate a cartridge employing a reannealed case. Jack

1 Like

Thanks so far gentlemen!

I unfortunately had post this threat twice, I did not see my first item back after ‘admit’, so tried again. I could not remove the second one when I did see it appear…
Yes, I already found P25 is not Polte but Metallwarenfabrik Treuenbrietzen.
PMF, never heard from that factory, thanks for the info about that! The codes shows indeed the weakness of the Versailles Treaty,

JP: No you where not pedantic, you are right, but, even in the European collectors-world a lot of people speak about “Mausers”, same as “Parabellum” for Pist.Patr.08.

Grtz
Jaco

These were cases that were on stock.
They were loaded several years later and were reworked before loading.

I can show a Polte box loaded in 1930 with cases from 1926.
On the box is printed “Nachgeglüht”

DSC_0005

After 1927 the technology changed to avoid cracks in the case mouth.

Rgds

2 Likes

What Dutch wants to say is that the cases got re-annealed.

1 Like