7.92 x 57mm propulsive Blank for Rifle Grenade

This is a 7.92mm Yugoslavian M60 grenade blank but can anybody decipher the headstamp markings. For information it has a short rosette crimp sealed with a thick layer of clear wax.
Jim

The headstamp is in Cyrillic letters. In our letters, it would read, I think, “OM. M60 PTM 7.9 MM.” The Cyrillic L and P are somewhat alike, especially for metal-stamping dies like bunters, so I suppose those “Ps” could possibly be “L” but I don’t think so. I am told that these are some sort of morter-igniting cartridge. I have the same round in my own collection, as well as another with headstamp “ON M62 BM-82MM”. Since there is no letter of the form “N” in the Cyrillic alphabet, I have to conclude that this headstamp is in the Western Alphabet. I wish I could tell you more, but I know nothing about Morters, except NOT to set one up under a tree, and how to drop a round down the tube of one!

Thank you John, that helps…I think!
Jim

I am Sorry John!

This absolutely not a propulsive round for a mortar, but a launching blank to be used with the Yugoslavian 7,9 mm Mauser rifle to launch a Rifle Grenade .

I got the box and the label reads in cyrillic :

10 pieces, propulsive 7,9 mm , for Rifle Grenade
On my box label(white with blackletters), you can read

-(Nitrocellulose) NC-08, powder made by MBL 78134 = 134th lot of 1978
PPU 7903 = Made by PPU third lot of 1979

They do not say anything about =the kind of grenade. The Rifle is probably a Mauser M48A, as the nextt one.

A second model exists, with the same hstp, but a green p.a., also the rosette is lacquered green (instead of yellowish wax on the first round)
Here, the box label is more precise:

10 pieces
propulsive 7,9 mm M60

for Grenade Rifle
for the 7,9 mm Rifle M48A
-(Nitrocellulose) NC-08 powder made by MBL 80151 = 151 st lot of 1980

These rounds are individually packed in sealed plastic.

Confusion cmes from the fact that there is also a propulsive round for a reducing device devised for a mortar.

It is easy to identify as the brass primer is very flat and large, and the headstampp, reduced in size, as impressed on the edge of base, reading in cyrillic OP M60 (12h) and BM-60 MM (6h)
There is no primer annulus . The rosette is waxed.I do not have, unhappily, the box label.

Most of the ammo found here was brought by our Gendarmerie from IFOR in Bosnia and KFOR units in Kosovo.

Philippe.

I also forgot to say that the letters OP found on hstp (and also the label)are the initials of the serbian words corresponding to Propulsive Round.

PR

It actually reads: OP.M60 PTM7.9MM.
The cyrillic “I” looks very much like our “N” just the diagonal bar is from bottom left to top right.

[quote=“Philippe Regenstreif”]

These rounds are individually packed in sealed plastic.

Philippe.[/quote]

Those I have seen so far and I worked with all 7.9mm were not separately packed. They were stuck in the base plug of the rifle grenades and only the 7.62x39 propelling cartridge was sealed inside a small plastic bag and stored inside the grenade’s shaft which was then closed by the base plug which held the 7.9mm cartridge.
Here also a manual excerpt:

Boy, did I drop the ball! Thanks Phil, mon ami, for the correction. I got both of my rounds mentioned (the M60 and the M62) from South Africa years ago, and was told they were Morter Igniters. I have little knowledge of morters or of rifle grenade launchers (except to know that the latter kick like the devil when you fire them) so took it as gospel. You sent great information.

Now, is my M62 round also a rifle-grenade launching cartridge. It has an odd brass primer, with a ring on the cup, much like an RWS Sinoxid primer.

EOD - thans for correcting my translation of the Cyrillic letters. As you can see from the second line of print before the caliber, my translation of the first letter of the top line was a typo that I did not catch. Sloppy work, John Moss - I should kick myself.

John, we all do mistakes and typos, hope noone is counting those in my English.