Brass case, CN bullet, black pa : 19 / M(in circle)/ 33/X/

First time I see the sign M (in circle) in this kind of hstp (with segments).
Scarce ??
Thanks
JP

Think it is;

Banska Strojarne, Banska Bristica, Czechoslowakia.

Rgds,
Dutch

[quote=“Dutch”]Think it is;

Rgds,
Dutch[/quote]
Thanks

I have seen this sign alone, but never in a 4 positions hstp.
Is it scarce ?
JP

[quote=“jean-pierre”][quote=“Dutch”]Think it is;

Rgds,
Dutch[/quote]
Thanks

I have seen this sign alone, but never in a 4 positions hstp.
Is it scarce ?
JP[/quote]

I have it in my collection, so it cannot be scare. -:)

Dutch

On this caliber, the partially-circled “M” four-segment headstamp, with the circle open at the bottom of the “M” is very conmmon. I have 30 dates in this headstamp in ball alone, ranging from March 1931 thru November 1935.
On 7.92 x 57 the same headstamp style, but with the “M” totally enclosed in a circle, is somewhat scarcer. I have only three dates, July and October 1929 and August 1930. December 1932 is found in not only type S spitzer ball, but also with the Model 1888 RN bullet. I also have March of 1933 with the round-nose bullet.

There are two other “Circle M” headstamps in the 7.92 caliber - one a fairly rare headstamp made for Mexico with no segment lines on the four-place headstamp of “19 M 34 7.92” (Again, the “M” is in the circle opened at the bottom). There is also a somewhat rare commercial headstamp with the partially-circled M at 12 O’Clock and “8x57” at the 6 O’Clock position, with no other headstamp entries. Mine has a brass primer with a circled “Z” stamped on it.

The four place headstamp both with the full circle around the “M” and with the partial circle also appears 0n 9mm Vz .22 (9mm Kurz, .380 Auto) in ball rounds, and I also have a fluted dummy with the partially circled “M” headstamp. The fully circled “M” 9mm Kurz round is dated February 1930, while the other two are dated June 1931 and May 1934 respectively.

It appears the style with a full circle was abandoned in late 1930 or early 1931.

The partially circled “M” is also found in a two-place headstamp on 9mm Bergmann-Bayard (9mm Largo) with the caliber “9J” probably standing for “9 Jo-Lo-Ar” at the six O’Clock position and on 9mm Steyr marked “9S” at the six O’Clock position. These have no segment lines.

I am sure it appears on other calibers, but not within my own collection, and I am sure that the four-segment style appears on other loadings in 7.92 x 57 as well.

One can see Josef M

Since the actual place name is so often confused, it might be just as well to mention that these cartridges were produced in Povazska Bystrica, not Banska Bystrica. The final word in both names means something like “rapids” in English. I hope John won’t mind me treading on his heels like this after his informative response. JG

Thanks for all thisinfo.
JP

JG - Don’t mind at all. In fact, grateful for it. I didn’t have anymore time to spend on that yesterday, as had to go out. That’s why I referenced M