7.92mm Bullet Board

Can anyone provide any information about the bullets in the attached photos. The address is on the back of the board.

Thanks

It is a projectile made out of steel and covered with graphite for lubrication. I hope that someone will expand on this board’s meaning, it is a very cool item.

Ian, great board! I’m not sure what specific information are you looking for but these are 7,9 mm sS 40 solid steel bullets made to avoid use of critical materials and they were also tried in other calibers like 7.9 mm Kurz and post-war 7.5 x 54 and .30-06. This design was credited to famous Werner Osenberg and the machine for making these to Ernst Bernstein; to my knowledge no patent was ever granted to any of them.

There is a small chapter about these in Kent’s book p. 111 and a lot of information in “Die deutsche Kurzpatrone 7,92x33” by D. Kapell and “Die Patrone 7,9 mm der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1930-1945” by Windisch, Micke & Kellner.

What a great treasure! Thank you for showing!

Vollstahlgeschoß System Bernstein = full steel projectile System Bernstein

gedreht = turned
gewalzt = rolled
kalibriert = calibrated
verzinkt = galvanized
graphitiert = graphitized

Were these actually used? Seems to me that bullets made of even the mildest and softest steel wouldn’t conform to the rifling very well, even with galvanizing and graphite coating, resulting in high chamber pressure and rapid bore wear. Plus the ballistic coefficient would be poor due to steel’s low density. Or maybe these factors didn’t mean much in last-ditch circumstances.

tanegashimatomurata, the technically better experession here would be “zinc plated” (by galvanization).

Certainly the situation in late war was such that there was little choice.
Also we may keep in mind that for example the Czechoslovaks made all their 9x18 Makarov with sintered iron (as some of the German late war proposals/developments were) projectiles for decades.
And we should also look at all those projectiles (and some Russian 122mm) which are made today where the driving bands are made of sintered iron or soft iron (as the Germans did since 1937 at least).
Seems it was an acceptable measure.

Dennis,
those bullets were designed to minimize the extended wear you mention. Else they could have saved a lot of pressious time and resources by just copying the bullet outline they were meant to replace.

Hans