7.92mm Red Plastic Blank ID?

Hi,

Can anyone ID who made the blank below and when it was made?

The base of the blank is made from steel as it attracts a magnet.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Heavyiron

Bakelittfabrikken, Norway

Hans,

Thank you.

Any idea of when it was used or manufactured?

Heavyiron

There are many variations of the Norwegian red plastic blank. Some are color variations, ranging from a reddish-orange color (almost a true orange) to medium red to a very dark red, as well as tip variations (not in shape, but rather whether or not pre-stressed to split open). There are two primer sizes that were used and copper primer cups as well as nickel primer cups. One of the last versions has a blue primer seal whereas there is an identical one with no primer seal. All of the ones I have seen have steel bases. I have six variations, and I believe there are some I don’t have.

I cannot date these precisely. The Bakelittfabrikken AS company was founded in 1946, and the last production of ball ammunition of this caliber in Norway was at Raufoss in 1950. There is evidence of the loading of short-range cartridges caliber 7.9 x 57mm as late as 1954 by Norma, using any cases available. I believe that production of these blanks probably took place between the very late 1940s and the mid-1950s, but I could be off. Perhaps one of our Norwegian friends will have the answer from a box label. Unfortunately, I have never seen a box label for any variant of these rounds. I can say that I started cartridge collecting in the very early 1960s, and it seems to me that by the time I started recognizing “collectible” cartridges of various calibers, even though I only collected auto pistol then, these blanks were around in the USA. That would be that they had already been sold as surplus, or at least small quantities had made their way to the US, by about the early 1960s. Again, I could be wrong about it - that was a lot of years ago.

[quote=“heavyiron”]Hans,

Thank you.

Any idea of when it was used or manufactured?

Heavyiron[/quote]

Sorry, I could only guess. I would have felt in the 60s or 70s, but by that time the MG42 and 98k in use should have been rebarrelled. Maybe John is right. Let’s wait for the word of our Norwegians.

John: I think your recollection is just about right. This blank appears in Brickell’s Oregon Ammunition Service catalog at least as early as 1960. My own specimen came from his 1962 catalog, wherein it had the same description and price (seventy-five cents) as the earlier one. JG

Gill - thanks. Good research on your part. I should have checked Brickell and other old lists as well. Our store did a lot of business with Jack, and he came down and visited us on several occasions. A really good guy, and one of the first good sources I had for cartridges when I started collecting. He gave me some cartridges that today are probably worth a pretty good penny! I have about three feet of collector cartridge dealer’s lists on my book shelf. Stupid of me that I seldom think of them for this kind of research. It is looking like early to mid-1950s is probably when these were made. They were probably surplused out pretty quickly, as the Korean war scared everyone and they started to revisit their armament during and shortly after it, so by 1960, many countries were either fairly well started on new weapons programs or had already adopted something and were surplusing out excess stores of the older weapons left over from WWI and WWII. The heydays for Interarmco!