Well, thanks to Dutch, we now have a definite archive reference to Hirtenberger patronenFabrik being the “owner” of code “P635”.
There is still the question as to whether “P635” applies to the Wollersdorf Facility, it being run (and assumed) owned By Hirtenberger Patronenfabrik up to the Anschluss, afterwhich all the Hirtenberger assets were taken over by the GustloffWerke organisation.
An interesting question, which leads one into the way Hirtenberger ran its two Plants, and whether the “P635” marked 8x56R “S” packets, were simply assembled at Hirtenberger with Wollersdorf-made ammo, or Hirtenberger sourced the cases at Wollersdorf Plant, and filled them at NiederDonau,
or some other solution.
The Fact that the 8x56R ammo was headstamped with a Nazi Eagle rather than a German code, is significant; Other manufacturers of “captured” ammo (Dutch, Italian, French) used the German letter code system, at least after about 1940-41; Maybe because Austria was “part” of the Reich, they simply used the Nazi Eagle to denote Reich production, but since the Austrian Army Component was changing over to the 7,9mm Kar98k and relevant ammo, it was felt not necessary to give the 8x56R ammo a “German” code headstamp (it may have been confusing as well, at a logistical level.).
Anyway, the reason may be further buried in the Archives in freiburg or Koblenz, or elsewhere in germany…Hope there are some “Ammo-Aware” researchers out ther who can sift through the tons of papers…The Americans in thirty years of holding the ammassed archives from 1945-75 never managed to assess even 1% of the total… and there were more important Diplomatic and Political archives to look at, without researching the production of ammunition in Austria…or elsewhere for that matter.
Regards, Doc AV