7.92x33 (8mm kurz) interesting development

I just read today that JLD Enterprises who makes the quality HK91 clone the “PTR-91” is now going to make an MP44 clone to original specs (but semi-auto): http://www.ptr91.com/ptr44.html They announced this about 2 months ago and the price is yet to be released. Sounds like allot of fun! Get ready for surplus “armor piercing” 7.62x33 surplus ammo to go through the roof… (roll-eyes…). Prvi and Hornady make new ammo in this caliber, and of course they just typical lead core FMJ.

Apparently military rifle enthusiasts have been waiting for something like this for a long time.

Its a shame I live in the UK so will never be able to own one of these. I bet they will also cost more than a new car.

I have only seen one unconfirmed mention in another forum that it will approach $4000. This seems ridiculous, and I suspect it might be closer to $2000. I was sort of hoping for it to be around $1000, but know that I see more about these rifles and that they do not actually have their own tooling set up in the U.S., I believe the high cost estimate. It will be a niche gun for collectors and re-enactors, or movie sets. Realistically, one could buy a very high quality milled-receiver AK clone in 7.62x39 for under $1000 and have cheap accessible ammo, so if the MP44 gun is much over $1500 then it seems pointless.

DK,

Who is using 7.92x33 at this time (and in what) that makes it worth while for new commercial manufacture by Hornady, etc? I kind of thought the MP44 and related varients were the only use for this round and would’ve thought the old surplus supply would be enough for those lucky enough to have one.

Dave

DKConfiguration,
I fully understand the excitement, but on the site I read “…The PTR 44 is manufactured for PTR 91 Inc, by Sport Systeme Dittrich in Germany.”

I guess I should have said “will now distribute” the MP44.

DaveE
I think you might be surprised how many of those are still out there, and how much the owners like to shoot them.
That is the reason the commercial makers are tooling up new lines.

That’s great that the caliber is in demand. And yes, I can believe how much fun those rifles must be to shoot! I’d seen dies for it and assumed there were some still makin’ noise out there but didn’t have an idea how much. The semi-auto copy DK linked to looks sharp and I bet there will be a market for it at any reasonable price.

Dave

I thought this new item in my collection might fit here. No headstamp dummy rounds.

Jon,

That’s a nice little item with the clip and all in a five round box. I looked up Shoei quick, and man, these guys really get into the replica thing. Check out the replica box they have.
modelguns-worldwide.com/images/mp44w.jpg

Maybe the brass case would be the giveaway for a collector watching a movie with these featured? Most are steel cased that I’ve seen out there.

Dave

The box of course is indicating steel cases.

These cartridges are meant to be replicas, no dummies.

I recently picked up a brass-cased round, headstamped FNM 8x33. Anyone know anything about it? (When made, etc).

There’s also one to watch for: a brass-cased Kurz necked down to 7.62mm for an Argentinian spotter/trainer device. I have one headstamped FLB-73-7 7.62x33.

[quote=“Falcon”]Apparently military rifle enthusiasts have been waiting for something like this for a long time.

Its a shame I live in the UK so will never be able to own one of these. I bet they will also cost more than a new car.[/quote]

I’ve heard that there is a company (in Germany i think) making a UK legal straight pull version of the stg 44 in 7.9x33

I have heard that it’s around £1200

I’m trying to find out which forum i read this on and will confirm later.

has anyone else on here from the UK heard of this or have one?

[quote=“TonyWilliams”]I recently picked up a brass-cased round, headstamped FNM 8x33. Anyone know anything about it? (When made, etc).

There’s also one to watch for: a brass-cased Kurz necked down to 7.62mm for an Argentinian spotter/trainer device. I have one headstamped FLB-73-7 7.62x33.[/quote]

Tony, the FNM is a commercial PPU production.

Rifle in question is in a advert in Gun Digest magazine 9 Nov. It is ONLY $4290.PLUS SHIPPING!!! Have Mercy.

DaveE - most of the German 7.9 x 33 mm Kurzpatronen were steel-cased, but they did make brass cased ammo as well, although it is very rare. I have only a fired case, headstamped hla-St 2 45 (case made by Metallwarenfabrik Treuenbritzen G.m.b.H., Werk Sebaldushof. Note that although brass, it has a steel-case headstamp. They are known with other headstamps I believe that have the correct case-metal designation on them, but still from “hla.”

Argentina, as well as the sub-caliber device cartridge 7.62 x 33 mm also made the normal 7.9 x 33 mm Kurzpatr. I have one headstamped // F M C “SL” // 1953. (Fábrica Militar de Cartuchos “San Lorenzo”)

John,

Thanks for the additional input. I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen a brass German WWII headstamped 7.92x33 (St or not). A prize to have indeed.

Dave

Tony, I think you got the FNM 8x33 from me. I had a few at ECRA. I picked these up about 4 years ago at a Machine Gun show in the US where a guy had a case that he was selling pretty fast. You can see from the label that it is a product of FNM in Portugal. He said they made them as a commercial product-he thought-shortly before they closed.

EOD is correct, PPU in Serbia also makes this round, but with a PPU headstamp and this is current production. I have a box of them also.

I’m delighted that the Stg 44 will be out in a semi-auto. 30 years ago I had the chance to fire one of the real ones and it was a lovely gun. Besides it looks good. I will be looking forward to finding a source for this gun and hope it is affordable.

Cheers,

Lew

Lew, you missunderstood me. PPU made those with the FNM head stamp.

EOD, clearly you are correct. Once I started looking the back of the box clearly states:
"MADE for FNM"
I dug out a box of the PPU I had and the ammunation if very similar. The only difference is a bit of difference in the layout of the groove and the green pa. The giveaway is the tray insert which is an interesting construction of folded cardboard is identical on both boxes.

No question in my mind that you are correct—the FNM cartridges were made by PPU.

Thanks!!!

Lew