7.92x33 headstamp identification

While rummaging around a box of loose ammo I found a 7.9 kurz cartridge that was purchased at a gun show quite sometime ago… I can post a pic if needed. It appears to have a gray finish, much like you would see on Russian Tula ammo.
Could this be post-war production? I think I have some Romanian 7.92x57 with a similar headstamp… So who made this and what years?

Head stamp reads
19, 70… 19 on top and 70 on botton

If you turn it, you will see that it is 04 61, made in East Germany in 1961.

I think you are reading that headstamp upside down. I think you will find it is 04 at the top and 61 at the bottom. It is made in East Germany (German Democratic Republic) at the VEB Mechanische Werkstätten Königswartha. Their factory ID code was 04.

I see JonnyC beat me to it, but will post this anyway for the addition information of the factory name.

John Moss

1 Like

Wow… You know your stuff. I was indeed reading it wrong. Thank you.

You guys are great!!! Thanks.

Is this your Head Stamp04 61 Patrone

Norbert Berg

Here are samples of box labels for the 7.92 Kurz cartridge, from the DDR. The box with the pasted-on label is from lot 69 of 1961. Below it is that portion of the label that bends over the top of the box onto the opening lid. Sorry that I don’t know how to size these pictures to be the same scale, or to make the two separate pictures into one. On the paste-on label, the second line reads in full “7.92-mm-Patr.-Kz 43 SmE”.

7.92 Kurz DDR Box label 2

John Moss

2 Likes

Yes, that is it. I also find two more…
aux st 11 45
And
aux st 8 45 … This cartridges bullet is nickel colored… All 3 bullets attractive to magnet, of course.

Are these two newest ones I just found post war ?
Thanks.

Aux St 8 and 11 45 were made in the final stages of WWII. Aux is the German code for the ammunition factory Polte in Magdeburg. St means Stahlhülse (steel case). 8 and 11 are the lot numbers and 45 is the year of production of the case.

Very interesting. Thanks for the information. I would assume all German WW2 production for this cartridge was steel cased?

Very nice boxes.
Does s.m.e. mean steel core bullet?

SmE in this context is an East-German invention (as is the caliber 7.92), because the original bullet designation was “43 mE” for “mit Eisenkern” (with iron core). You are correct that this means a steel core bullet. But it is a non-hardened core, having the sole purpose of saving lead, not enhancing penetration. (Similar to the Soviet 7.62 mm M43 “puley stal” for the Kalashnikov assault rifle.)

“SmE” was used, but only for the full power rifle bullet.

In Germany from 1888-1945, the caliber was “7.9 mm” for the rifle cartridge as well as the later short assault rifle variation.

Well I’m glad you know this stuff and you’re very helpful. I have a German made k98 from 1938 I believe. You used to be able to buy German 7.9x57 ammo very easily from magazines… Rarely see it now unless collectors have it. It is a very powerful cartridge. I’m very glad I found these cartridges (7.9x33)… I have finished collecting my ammo and putting them in little baggies. I am in the process of writing out on paper what I have… It’s mostly 6.5x55, 7mm Mauser, 7.65 Mauser, 30-06… That’s because I own rifles in those calibers or have owned. I have found a round nosed soft point 6.5 Vergueiro that I have no clue when I purchased and a 7.35 carcano loaded clip… I did pull one of the carcano bullets and it weighs 129 grains… Odd bullet weight for a rifle cartridge of it’s size. Thanks.